Powerbook - really worth the extra $$$?

A

AbsolutCR

I have decided to get either a Mac soon.... I need a laptop, and I've never had a Mac OR a laptop. I've browsed here and read up on the Powerbook and iBook... I'm in college, so I'll only going to be using this machine for word processing, AIM, web browsing, and casual video/photo editing. I just basicly need the portability... I will still have my Windows PC at home.

But I also will probably watch DVDs on it from time to time. Will the extra processing power of the Powerbook really make a big difference, or should I just put that extra $500 to upgrading an iBook with extra memory, etc...?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
depends on how much money you have, the macbook pro is definitely the best option, the powerbook will be a second but not a close second, although it is not new which is a plus, as all new technology fails. The power of the macbook pro will be very beneficial to you, that, and since you have never had a mac before if you decide you don't like it, although you will, you can always install bootcamp on the macbook and then you will be able to run windows, so you won't be at a complete loss. The powerbook only comes in a 12 inch screen size now, although i like it to be small, sometimes it can be a strain to work on that for a long time. I am a large advocate for the 15 inch size. Then there is the case that you can't try to persuade your parents to help you out a little on the price, or you need it now and can't save up. In that case the ibook will be fine for you, but it is not my personal favorite computer (although many people love it). I have used them, but the 4:3 aspect ratio of the screen is not appealing to me (same with the 12 inch powerbook). This is just my little rant on switchers getting laptops and what i think they should do, not only helping you, but helping other people who might have the same question, but in the end.... its your call.. the best piece of advice I can give you is to go to the store and play with each model and screen size and decide which one you like the best.

OP
G
the powerbook is not worth the extra money. the 1.67 ghz g4 processor is not going to give you any major performance boost over the 1.42 ghz ibook g4. either go for the macbook or ibook.

OP
C

caveatipss

AbsolutCR said:
I have decided to get either a Mac soon.... I need a laptop, and I've never had a Mac OR a laptop. I've browsed here and read up on the Powerbook and iBook... I'm in college, so I'll only going to be using this machine for word processing, AIM, web browsing, and casual video/photo editing. I just basicly need the portability... I will still have my Windows PC at home.

But I also will probably watch DVDs on it from time to time. Will the extra processing power of the Powerbook really make a big difference, or should I just put that extra $500 to upgrading an iBook with extra memory, etc...?

Thanks!
In my opinion, because computers become obsolete so quickly, you should buy the absolute most you can. Go for the Macbook Pro.

Reaction score
caveatipss said:
become obsolete so quickly...

Who cares, if it can do everything you need when you buy it, then you'll be good for many years unless your needs change.

OP
C

caveatipss

mynameis said:
Who cares, if it can do everything you need when you buy it, then you'll be good for many years unless your needs change.
The thing though is that software and standards change too.

Reaction score
AbsolutCR said:

Thanks!

If time is not an issue--I might would wait and see how the new MacBooks are which I believe should be coming out sometime in the near future (Maybe June?). But if you need to purchase one now--I would suggest purchasing a MacBook Pro. Sure, you can not keep up with technology--but it just does not make sense to purchase an iBook to me--when you have newer/more powerful/efficient technology out there. Plus, if you just HATE the OSX operating system--you can still go back to Windows XP on the MacBook Pro.

Just my opinion,

youthpastor

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
There is no reason why an iBook woulnd't be plenty for your needs. I would suggest saving the cash and just suit up the iBook with the maximum RAM.

OP
A

AbsolutCR

Well I need the laptop before July, because I'm going to Paris to take some classes, and I would like to be able to do homework in my dorm room, which has wireless internet. Plus.... it's an 8 hour flight.

But I want one now. :)

The general consensus seems to be to get the "14 iBook, and then pimp out the RAM and hard drive. I want the Macbook SO bad. I really do. But the price is pretty steep. I know it's superior, and probably worth every penny, but it just seems like too much to spend on a secondary computer for me. Plus, I actually don't want a large screen.... "14 is great. Bigger machines don't fit on our desks at school very well.

I have also been advised to avoid the apple monthly financing... I don't know how valid that warning is.

I use Macs at school, so I won't hate it. I basicly know my way around, and I assume the applications won't be hard to understand. The price is very tempting for a PC notebook, but I think (hope?) the Mac will have more longevity than a PC, so I'm willing to pay for that. Just not $2500.

OP
M

MarteDVX

If you are a student, can't you get the student discount off of Apple's site? That would bring the MBP 1.83ghz down to $1799 with student discount. You can upgrade the ram to 1GB if you want, or buy it cheaper from other sites.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook - 15" (last ppc), iMac 20" w/ intel, iPod 5G
mynameis said:

i agree. i got a 15" powerbook and it does everything i need it to do. i also got an intel imac, and i find myself using the powerbook over the imac because so many of my programs do not work on the imac, and the imac has no end of problems and slowness because it's a new product.

go for the ibook. it's fine for college stuff unless you're a digital design major or something.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2GHz Intel Core Duo w/ 2GB RAM (White)
I am a college student and I have an iBook and from my perspective, the iBook is the perfect computer for me. For what you mentioned you would like to do, the iBook will have plenty of power (and a better battery life than the MBP). I do pretty much exactly what you described you want to do (web, chat, casual video/photo editing, watching DVD's, and word processing) and I've never been disappointed in performance. Also, as a student, money is tight - so getting an iBook definitely helped me out in that area (though I do recommend spending the $$ upgrading the RAM up to at least 1GB)

So coming from virtually the same position as you, I would say go for the iBook. I haven't been disappointed and I don't think you will either. Sure, there are newer/more powerful computers out there, but for what you need, the iBook is perfect.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro (2010) 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM
I got my Girlfriend an iBook for christmas last year, and it serves her well. she is using it basically for the same purposes as you. its the 12" version,and even viewing dvds on it is fine. the G4's chips maybe well old now, but by god they still do the job.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
i have an ibook, im a student and i love it! - it does exactly what i need. I do a bit of photo editing, tried imovie out and web and then just school work. IT works great.

get an ibook - up the ram though to as much as you can afford 768 min

Reaction score
caveatipss said:

You don't have to buy the latest software if what you are using works...

I am interested to hear of an example for your point though. What software changes or standards have come about in recent years that have made older computers completely worthless/obsolete?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
mynameis said:
You don't have to buy the latest software if what you are using works...

I am interested to hear of an example for your point though. What software changes or standards have come about in recent years that have made older computers completely worthless/obsolete?

I honestly can not think of a point either, I was going to respond and say the new programs that are coming out with intel, then i realized that they are universal, sure they won't work on a G3 but those are really old, I could get them working on my quad no problem. So I guess I don't know a point to his response either, but I guess me clicking on the on the reply button means I thought I knew the answer and then went to think about it, and didn't.

EDIT: I thought of one a few seconds later (after I moved from my desk to my bed lol): Bootcamp, but currently the only one I can think of.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
caveatipss said:

The fact that there are people out there happily running the latest version of OSX on 5 year old Clamshell iBooks and iMacs tells me that not too much has changed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
PowerBookG4 said:
EDIT: I thought of one a few seconds later (after I moved from my desk to my bed lol): Bootcamp, but currently the only one I can think of.

Not really, Bootcamp has not made your Quad old or obselete by any means.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.