iPhone 4: remove all emails from INBOX

Reaction score
hi,

i can't figure out how to remove all emails from INBOX (I have 13,000+ of them!!)

I found these instructions,
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6831377?start=0&tstart=0

and it seems to work, all email disappear from inbox.. however, when I go back to INBOX a few mins later all 13,000+ emails are still there...

iPhone 4

would appreciate some help...

thank you...

Last edited:

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Good evening, kali89.

I shall pass over how and why you allowed 13,000 emails to accumulate in your Inbox:Mischievous:

One of the great frustrations of iOS and POP accounts, is the need to delete emails individually. You can block-delete from Trash, of course.

NB my reference to POP accounts because you can block-delete messages from the Inbox if you have an IMAP account.

Moreover, if you had an IMAP account and its synced to your iPhone, you could go to the web page associated with the account and delete from there. This would remove same from your iPhone.

The nearest "solution" is really an off shoot of your own link: http://www.jasonelk.com/2011/02/how-to-delete-all-your-mail-at-once-on-your-iphone-4/

If that does not work for you, I have a possible explanation, assuming that your iPhone is synced to your web-based email - they go at first, but then repopulate from your email server on the web.

Can you not delete them at source, i.e. from your web-based account? Then repeat what you did before on the iPhone?

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
One of the great frustrations of iOS and POP accounts, is the need to delete emails individually. You can block-delete from Trash, of course.

NB my reference to POP accounts because you can block-delete messages from the Inbox if you have an IMAP account.

Hmmm…??? I don't know why the comments about POP emails on an iOS device, but I have two such POP accounts and was able to select them all and they were gone. kapoof and never returned. I don't recall doing anything special.

But if nothing else, using the webmail option should work to access and delete them all from the server.

Or do a search on 'delete all iOS pop email messages':
https://www.google.ca/search?client...&oe=UTF-8&gfe_rd=cr&ei=Wr9aWanzKuve8Af026CICA

EDIT:
Like this for example:
Make Your iPhone Delete or Keep POP Mail
https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-make-iphone-mail-delete-mail-from-pop-servers-1172555

- Patrick
======

Last edited:
OP
K
Reaction score
Good evening, kali89.

I shall pass over how and why you allowed 13,000 emails to accumulate in your Inbox:Mischievous:

Moreover, if you had an IMAP account and its synced to your iPhone, you could go to the web page associated with the account and delete from there. This would remove same from your iPhone.

The nearest "solution" is really an off shoot of your own link: http://www.jasonelk.com/2011/02/how-to-delete-all-your-mail-at-once-on-your-iphone-4/

If that does not work for you, I have a possible explanation, assuming that your iPhone is synced to your web-based email - they go at first, but then repopulate from your email server on the web.

Can you not delete them at source, i.e. from your web-based account? Then repeat what you did before on the iPhone?

Ian

well, some people like to keep all emails in webmail as a backup... but I see what happens... even if I remove them all from iPhone, they will get downloaded again next time I go to inbox in iPhone... in my old iPhone3, it only displayed the latest 40 emails or so, then when you scrolled to the bottom there was an optional link to download more emails.. I don't see that on the iPhone 4....

but well, thank you.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
but well, thank you.....

Could you clarify and provide what type of email account it is you're using and also what iOS version on your iPhone 4 in being used?

Apple did make some changes. Finally for some email deleting options. :Blushing:

- Patrick
======

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi Patrick

I'm not trying to be contentious, I promise. When I had my POP accounts, I had the same experience as the OP. Individual deletion to Trash and block-deletion from there. And that still applies to one remaining POP account. I just never let them accumulate in the Inbox.

My subsequent IMAP account allows block deletion from the Inbox as well as the Trash. And doesn't repopulate.

The workarounds suggested in your second link, although designed for Gmail (POP) is said to work for other POP accounts; but the main problem is that they are still in the Inbox but marked as read. Either that or they are deleted from the server.

The OP wants to keep the 13,000 emails on the web as a BU, but rid himself of those same emails on his phone - and in such a way as they don't repopulate his Inbox on reconnection.

Tricky combination of requirements for a POP account.

Ian

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Some will hate me for this but I have always had the attitude that if a native app will not fulfill my requirements get one that does. I parted ways with Apple Mail years ago. Currently I am using iOS Blue Mail. My default sync is set to 14 days. Bulk editing is allowed and email grouping by sender.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not trying to be contentious, I promise

No problem at all Ian, and I didn't really think that you were.

As for Mail.app on my iDevices, I try to avoid using it by whatever means I can. I can't think of much if anything about it that I even like.

Maybe I'll have a look at using Rod's Blue Mail suggestion.

Now if Eudora was available and could work… awww, never mind. :Blushing:

- Patrick
======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I personally do not like to receive or send mail on any of my iOS devices. While it's certainly very doable on my new iPad Pro, I still prefer the iMac. However, I can see the need for a good iOS mail program if you're on the road a lot and need to use your iPhone or iPad to receive mail.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.