Torrents ??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro (2010) 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM
I started to use tomato, and i was wondering is there any better torrent software out there for the macs ?

L

Left Face Down

Personally I don't see why people need anything more than Bit Torrent, Azureus is a memory hog on PC and I doubt it's any less on Mac.

http://www.bittorrent.com/download.myt

Bit Tornado uses just a little bit less memory, but in a thread on another forum we compared the three. Azureus, on a PC, used 30Kb of memory while Bit Tornado and Bit Torrent clocked in at 3Kb~. That's right, Azureus used atleast 10x more memory!

Edit:
Just for referance that was with no torrents running and each min to the quick launch.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
Left Face Down said:
Personally I don't see why people need anything more than Bit Torrent, Azureus is a memory hog on PC and I doubt it's any less on Mac.

http://www.bittorrent.com/download.myt

Bit Tornado uses just a little bit less memory, but in a thread on another forum we compared the three. Azureus, on a PC, used 30Kb of memory while Bit Tornado and Bit Torrent clocked in at 3Kb~. That's right, Azureus used atleast 10x more memory!

Edit:
Just for referance that was with no torrents running and each min to the quick launch.

I was gonna mention bit tornado as well, as that is what I have always used on my PC but was not sure if it was available for Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20 inch iMac Core Duo
I use azeurus and I like it a lot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67GHZ 15" PowerBook G4 Widescreen "The Great Last PowerBook"/20" iMac Core Duo, 2GB RAM, 256VRAM
I use Bit Torrent. It works like a champ on my PowerBook G4. I haven't tried it on my iMac yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13' MacBook 2.2Ghz 1Gb Ram 120Gb ,iMac G3 CRT 600 Mhz 512 Ram 60Gb Broken iBook G4, stolen Nano
Ive been forced to switch to azereus as Bits on Wheels, transmission, tomato, bit tornado, and bit torrent have all been banned by my private tracker (invites PM me) because they dont report correctly to the tracker or because they download bad data.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 12 inch running mac os 10.4 with: 60 gb HD+256 mb ram+Radeon 9200
Azureus is the only client for me that can find a way through my firewall maze.

p.s. I'm not a pirate!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
another Azureus fan here simply because it does what i need it to

OP
robbiemullen
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i tryed bit torrent last nite, but neither of the two items i had selected even started to download. when i was using Tomato, at least most of the files started to download. could it be any firewall problems ?? im a home user, im not running any extra/external firewall or anti-virus software

L

Left Face Down

I've always had problems with any BT client unless the torrent I got was from a good site. I've never been able to get torrents from the usual torrent sites, like "thepiratebay.org" and such to work personally.

However, on that note. Bit Torrent has always been good to me. Bit Tornado I tried once, cause originally every one told me to get Azureus (I did) and it locked up my computer practicly. My computers have something against Azureus, as both my older desktop and my former laptop hated it. It'd lock up my old desktop and lag the living **** out of my laptop so bad I couldn't even exit the darned thing and that's with just opening the program.

I never could get Bit Tornado to connect for me. Others loved it... with Bit Torrent it should tell you if it's experiencing troubles due to firewalls, but it'll only say it if it is downloading something. In the upper right hand corner it has the bars. If it only gets to the second bar if you hover over it than it'll usually say "Firewall/NAT'ed" or something along those lines. Of course one bar is just "connecting".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
I use Transmission because it's the fastest torrent client i've used yet, it works well under Rosetta (one of the few apps that does) or it's native under Intel, can't remember off hand, and it can run more than one client at a time. Either way, it works and it's fast.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4, 1.5gb RAM, 40gb HDD
I totally don't get torrents. I think I'm retarded. So, you DL a program like Azereus, then what? I'm so used to programs like Napster that just give you stuff. Could someone explain to me in very simple language what to do next?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
Download the torrent, and it should either be on your desktop as a .torrent file, or wherever you saved it to. Then, drag the file and drop it into the client, it'll download.

Torrents take forever, though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4, 1.5gb RAM, 40gb HDD
Where do you get the torrent?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
munch said:
Legitimate torrents can be downloaded from whichever company or artist site might offer them. Illegal torrents will not be discussed here.

As for torrent software I really prefer Transmission. I find Azuereus to be a big, ugly resource hog. Acquisition also now has Torrent support and it works pretty well.

L

Left Face Down

munch said:

Really depends what you want. Your best friend is google though... I download Anime a lot from sites that only host those which are not licensed in the U.S.

In other words, if I'm "caught" downloading an episode that isn't licensed in the U.S. it's not illegal for me to have it. Only after it is licensed in the U.S. is it "illegal".

Generally google for whatever you want followed by "torrent". You'll find something, it may take you a while but you'll find what you want most likely. The hard part is finding torrents which are seeded well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 12 inch running mac os 10.4 with: 60 gb HD+256 mb ram+Radeon 9200
There is a large amount of Linux makers that use torrents. And bittorrent.com is a good place to search for legal torrents (Most illegal ones are sorted out).

OP
robbiemullen
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ive gone back to tomato, i had problems with bit torrent. what are leechers and seeders ? i dont understand this torrent downloading too well. it seems quite slow. im downloading a 220mb file now and my download speed is only averaging around 10kbps where as with peer-to-peer im getting 90 kbps(depending on upload speeds of other users).. Is torrenting really worth it. is it faster if there are more seeders ??

Sorry for the bunch of silly questions, anyone have any web links to answer these type of questions reguarding Torrents ??

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.