Torrents ??

L

Left Face Down

robbiemullen said:
Ive gone back to tomato, i had problems with bit torrent. what are leechers and seeders ? i dont understand this torrent downloading too well. it seems quite slow. im downloading a 220mb file now and my download speed is only averaging around 10kbps where as with peer-to-peer im getting 90 kbps(depending on upload speeds of other users).. Is torrenting really worth it. is it faster if there are more seeders ??

Sorry for the bunch of silly questions, anyone have any web links to answer these type of questions reguarding Torrents ??

Seeders - Number of people who are sharing the file. For reference the person doesn't have to have 100% of the file to be a seeder.

Leecher- Some one who is downloading but not sharing the file.

Torrents have never been my favorite, as it can be a pain to find a good torrent or a good site but if you find a good site that a lot of people go to a lot of new stuff downloads pretty fast. I've actually downloaded a movie (anime that was not licensed in the U.S. -not illegal-) at 950Kbps before.

I will say it's a pain to find a good site though... I'll give people that. However torrents are generally a better source of files than P2P programs in my experiences.

OP
robbiemullen
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro (2010) 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM
Bit Torrent would not work at all. My speed seems slow too!, like i am getting an average of 10 kbps if im lucky, i know it depends on other peoples up-load speeds, but is it generally that slow with torrents ??

Which is better ???

Torrents Vs P2P ..............?

Reaction score
For me...

Uhg... just recently got my first mac so untill now I've been using bittorrent for windows. Worked fine. So naturally I went to use it on my mini. Let's just say it's messed.

So... I've tried Tomato: Way too slow

And the azure...one : wont work (do I need better java or something? >.<)

Along with any other one I could find. Still haven't found one that will do what I want.

Right now I'm trying to use Transmission but I wont work with any torrents from AonE-AnY.. says clients are banned or something. And those torrents just happen to be the only ones that I want to download.

Uhm... don't know if their illegal or not and don't know if that's why they wont run.

Well, gonig back can anyone tell me how to get that azureus .... one running?

Aswell all my torrent stop when my computer sleeps... wondering if there's any way around that? (still new mac user)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16ghz 15" MacBook Pro, black 30gb ipod video, black 2gb Nano.
Try downloading the standalone Java from the apple site. Thats what i was told to do anyways, although i havent tried it yet.

Reaction score
Thanks, but...

Mister-Twoster said:
Try downloading the standalone Java from the apple site. Thats what i was told to do anyways, although i havent tried it yet.

Well thanks for the suggestion, but when I try to install any java it already says I have a newer version of it :( (don't tell me how!?)

I just got this a week ago so it should already have new enough stuff in that sense anyways...

O well... looks like I'll just have to stick with the 1kb/s tomato torrent :mad:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you configure your ports?

Reaction score
Mister-Twoster said:
Did you configure your ports?

Most likely not considering I have no idea what you're talking about :p

Update: right now I'm using Transmission again, first of all it wont download certain torrents I want it do that I have done and lost in the past on the reg bit torrent for windows (once again don't know if that's becuase they're illegal or not, I doubt they are though)

and second of all it's soo slow!! I had it running all last night and all is to show is 1% !!!! my upload rate is usally around 50kb/s (which I set) but the download rate is always stuck like under 10!!!

Uhg, I really need to figure this all out, any suggestions? Like how to get Azur running or how to make transmission or tomato to run faster? :(

This is killing me not being able to find a solution >.<

UpUpdate: Ok, now I'm using a combination of Transmission and tomato, the tomato for torrents transmission wont run. Transmission has gotten slightly faster by itself but it's still at about 1.2% completion. and with tomateo my upload rate wont seem to start >.<. When I check the error log it says something like "Could not load fastresume data: unpack list of wrong size. Will perform full hash check., (at Sun Jun 11 '06 @ 12:15:50 PM)"... So, yea... help? :bandage:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
download and install transmission, it's the only torrent client that's been able to work for me. I'm on a 17" Intel iMac, and all though the app is not universal, it still runs GREAT under Rosetta.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well one thing you really need to get figured out is forwarding your ports from your router, to YOUR computer. This will significantly increase your download speed. Can you ask someone how to forward ports that lives around you? If not, i can take you through it step by step. If youve got aim, you can reach me at IMARTWOTURBO.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.