iMac shaking when typing

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20 inch iMac Core Duo
When I am just typing on my iMac the whole panel shakes slightly. Does this happened to anyone else? Youd think for almost $2000 apple would make a sturdy product.

Reaction score
Are you pounding around on your keyboarD? Kidding.

Make sure your mac is on an absolutely even surface, and that the table is steady too. Try moving your mac a couple of inches, sometimes very weird transports of energy can cause vibrations.

This isn't really a known problem with the iMac, it's just a bit of bad luck and physics.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
at about what angle is the mac pointed at?

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20 inch iMac Core Duo
Man this is really annoying. I hate paying a ton of money for something that doesnt work near flawlessly...and this is just the design. Ive tried several angles and positions and the imac still shakes even when im typing....It could be the desk...I had my room painted and my desk is about 2 feet out from the wall...but honestly I still dont think an almost $2000 computer should be flimsy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
i doubt the computer is flimsy, it sounds liek your desk is rather poorly put together, or perhaps just not screwed tight enough together

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
macAttack said:
i doubt the computer is flimsy, it sounds liek your desk is rather poorly put together, or perhaps just not screwed tight enough together

I'd go with that too. The iMac isn't shaky at all, but if the table/desk it stands on moves, vibrates or shakes, the iMac does so too.
We have them on glass tables in our showroom, and there's nothing moving on the iMac when somebody types.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
My vote's the desk - the first desk I had shook because IT was poorly designed ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
my apple keyboard rattles all the time on the desk i have because it isnt 100% flat in all places, move it an inch or two and it is perfectly fine

is it moving at the point in which your imac connects to its stand or is the whole thing moving?? you can probably test this by looking at the back of it and slightly pushing it on its sides to see if the connection is faulty. if it is bring it into an apple store and you should get some quick service of that one

-chris

F

Fallooza

im tryin ta make my iMac shake when i type. i dont think smashin my fingers through the keyboard at i type would be enough ta do it. try putin it on a different table and see if it still does.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Fallooza said:
im tryin ta make my iMac shake when i type. i dont think smashin my fingers through the keyboard at i type would be enough ta do it. try putin it on a different table and see if it still does.

Agreed, I would have to hit my keyboard with my fists and break the keys. It has to be the table.

Reaction score
My iMac is as solid as a rock. It doesn't budge. You should have a video of this. Take it to antoher table. If that doesn't work, take it to the genius bar and show them. But I don't think the iMac is at fault.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20 inch iMac Core Duo
Ok I have a theory. I havent noticed the shake since before the painters were in my room. They moved my desk (WITH COMPUTER ON IT!!) about a foot from the wall. I wasnt home so I dont know what my mom was thinking. I honestly dont knpow how they moved it but I figured out the problem is where the metal base connects to the panel. Typing causes it to shake, and when I adjust the screen angle a ever so slight scraping noise is present which I dont think was there before. Im seriously pissed cuz I put all my money into this computer and now it is slightly shaking even from something like typing. I have not noticed this before in the 2 months ive had the iMac and it backs up my theory that the painters did this since I just noticed it after they came. Im planning on telling my dad but he'll probably think Im overexaggerating.

F

Fallooza

playm0de said:
Ok I have a theory. I havent noticed the shake since before the painters were in my room. They moved my desk (WITH COMPUTER ON IT!!) about a foot from the wall. I wasnt home so I dont know what my mom was thinking. I honestly dont knpow how they moved it but I figured out the problem is where the metal base connects to the panel. Typing causes it to shake, and when I adjust the screen angle a ever so slight scraping noise is present which I dont think was there before. Im seriously pissed cuz I put all my money into this computer and now it is slightly shaking even from something like typing. I have not noticed this before in the 2 months ive had the iMac and it backs up my theory that the painters did this since I just noticed it after they came. Im planning on telling my dad but he'll probably think Im overexaggerating.
maybe there is something in between where the imac and base come tagether. i would try blowing some some compressed air in it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
i would have moved it out of the room if you knew the painters were coming....i put my powermac in the closet when the cleaning lady comes because she is a complete idiot and breaks things all the time.

-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
playm0de said:

Can you see any scratches on the housing that haven't been there before? Because my guess would be that the painters made it fall somehow, and just put it back, as if nothing had happened. I don't see any other possibility how it could have happened otherwise...

@coach_z:
You need a new cleaning lady... :cool:

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
coach_z said:
i would have moved it out of the room if you knew the painters were coming....i put my powermac in the closet when the cleaning lady comes because she is a complete idiot and breaks things all the time.

-chris

My neighbor who is disabled has gone through so many cleaning people due to that very problem. He has a lot of nice things plus computer stuff and they were breaking stuff weekly. Amazing as these were supposed to be Professional people too.

To the OP, Check like was said for any Damage to the outside of the iMac. It's a WELL BUILT system. Mine is very solid. I also wonder if they moved the desk real fast and made the system fall over. I have never seen any of the newer style iMacs ever shake like that while simply typing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
somehow she bent the showerhead in my parents bathroom the other day, not the swivel part, but the solid metal pipe that carries the water. how the heeck does one do that???? and then she broke off part of the kitchen sink which i easily fixed and not so long ago she got my blanket caught in the vacuum and now it is slowly de-threading and it sux real bad.

original poster....sounds like you are bringing your computer to the apple store on saturday to get it checked out. also contact the painting company and inform them of what happened when the painters were there.
-chris

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.