Seagate Hard Drive 300gig Question

R

rgstrdnurse

I recently installed a Seagate 300gig internal harddrive in my G5. I was just curious as to why only 275gigs shows up. It installed easy and I just went through disk utility and it took care of it prior to using but why does it not show the entire 300gigs? Thank you! :doctor:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
what do you mean by shows up? Quite often the disks are formatted less than what they say they are...just because its impossible for the company to put on exactly 300 gigs...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
macAttack said:
Quite often the disks are formatted less than what they say they are...just because its impossible for the company to put on exactly 300 gigs...

Wrong.

From HERE

"Marketing" capacity versus true capacity

Hard drive manufacturers often use the metric definition of the prefixes "giga" and "mega", whilst nearly all operating system utilities report capacities using binary definitions for the prefixes. This is largely for historical reasons, since when storage capacities started to exceed thousands of bytes, there were no standard binary prefixes. The IEC only standardized binary prefixes in 1999, so 210 (1024) bytes was called a kilobyte because 1024 is "close enough" to the metric prefix kilo, which is defined as 103 or 1000. This trend became habit and continued to be applied to the prefixes "mega," "giga," and even "tera." Obviously the discrepancy becomes much more noticeable in reported capacities in the multiple gigabyte range, and users will often notice that the volume capacity reported by their OS is significantly less than that advertised by the hard drive manufacturer. For example, a drive advertised as 200 GB can be expected to store close to 200 x 109, or 200 billion, bytes. This uses the proper SI definition of "giga," 109 and can be considered as an approximation of a gibibyte. Since utilities provided by the operating system probably define a gigabyte as 230, or 1073741824, bytes, the reported capacity of the drive will be closer to 186.26 GB, a difference of well over 7%. For this very reason, many utilities that report capacity have begun to use the aforementioned IEC standard binary prefixes (e.g. KiB, MiB, GiB) since their definitions are unambiguous.

Another side point is that many people mistakenly attribute the discrepancy in reported and advertised capacities to reserved space used for file system and partition accounting information. However, for large (several GiB) filesystems, this data rarely occupies more than several MiB, and therefore cannot possibly account for the apparent "loss" of tens of GBs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
o i'm sorry, i should just go die in a hole for trying to be helpful and let you answer all the questions. and while i hate to sound like a child, ever heard of something called being nice?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.