Airport or Extreme for iBook?

B

Blonde Guy

I have an iBook (A1054) 800 MHz G4.

I got this computer refurbished from the Apple Store website. I also got Airport Extreme. I plugged in the Airport Extreme, and the computer would not even start. The fan went crazy and nothing else happened.

I removed the Airport extreme, and the computer boots normally. I got a new Airport extreme from Apple, and the exact same thing happened.

Then I got very busy, and left the computer unused for a while. Now I need get another Mac going, and I hope to get this one working. My friend suggested that Apple is wrong to say Airport Extreme works on this system, and I really need an plain old Airport.

Any ideas???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2GHz Intel Core Duo w/ 2GB RAM (White)
Well, according to this article from Apple's website, your iBook is compatible with the Extreme card... So that shouldn't be an issue. Sorry I can't be of more help, but at least I can eliminate one possibile cause of your issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Every iBook G4 is either Airport Extreme ready, or has it built-in, depending on which one it is. The two cards and their respective slots are physically so different that it is impossible to put an Extreme card in a plain Airport slot, and vice versa.
Maybe the connector on the board is faulty, get it replaced by Apple. Refurbished Macs have the same warranty like brand new ones.

OP
E

edge

I have the iBook G4 800 (probably identical to what you have). It came without an Airport card when bought new, and I added an Airport Extreme card to it. It worked fine with no problem.

Could you take both iBook and card to the Apple store and have them take a look?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.