ipad air 2 cellular - network question

Reaction score
I have just aquired an ipad air 2 with a sim slot.
Is there anyway to tell if it's locked to a particular network without trying various sims in it?
also, once I work out which network I can use and get a sim, will it have a phone number? will I be able to send texts with it?

thanks
Neil

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Cellular iPads are all unlocked. All you need is to buy a sim card and data plan from whichever carrier you prefer. I had an iPad 3 cellular with a T-Mobile sim for the last 3 years.

T-Mobile gives you 200 MB a month of free data. I paid $10.00 for the T-Mobile sim. And yes, your cellular iPad will have a phone number assigned to it. You can also send and receive texts with your cellular iPad. Remember though, your data plan has to include texts.

OP
D
Reaction score
many thanks for the reply - so if the ipad has had a sim before it won't be locked to a particular network like the phones do?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
many thanks for the reply - so if the ipad has had a sim before it won't be locked to a particular network like the phones do?

That is correct. When I purchased my cellular iPad 3 it came with a Verizon sim card but was unlocked to their network. About a year later after purchase I removed the Verizon sim and purchased a T-Mobile sim as I previously replied.

And by the way, in accordance with the newer FCC rules, carriers can no longer lock phones arbitrarily. And if you meet certain conditions, they are required to unlock the phone for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Not knowing where you live and the particulars of your iPad Air 2, you might want to read this:
https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT203099
and this
https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT203089

I believe they can be locked in the UK and some other countries,

will it have a phone number? will I be able to send texts with it?

No, normally you get DATA only and yes, generally you can send a text message etc. to a cell user.

The same with that and everything else can also be done via a Wi-Fi connection.

- Patrick
======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@Patrick:

You are wrong with your answer regarding that he will not get a phone number with his iPad Air 2. YOU DO get a phone number from your carrier. I received a phone number from both Verizon and T-Mobile with my cellular iPad 3. You can actually answer a phone call from a cellular iPad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You are wrong with your answer regarding that he will not get a phone number with his iPad Air 2.

Sorry, but not so here chscag. That may be true for you in the US, but it's not incorrect for Canada cell users, at least not Bell Mobility subscribers and most others I know about.

But there is a number associated with the SIM card and under General info it's listed as "Cellular Data Number"

Regardless, one sure can't use it as a regular cellular "Phone Number" per se. :Smirk:

And I assume that's what the OP was asking.

And just a note for them in case they didn't know, at least here in Canada, one only needs a SIM card and paid-for provider subscription IF they want to use any Internet/ web stuff via cell connection but don't have access to any Wi-Fi connection they can use.

- Patrick
======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here in the US that's how carriers keep track of your data usage - by assigning the sim card a phone number. In any event, since the OP is a resident of the UK, some of what I told him about the iPad being unlocked may not necessarily be true for the UK. Sure wish folks would complete their profile, especially country of origin as that makes a difference on how we answer their questions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sure wish folks would complete their profile, especially country of origin as that makes a difference on how we answer their questions.

O.T. but… I've pretty much come to the point when I see or come across a post such as "My mac won't start what should I do" and absolutely no details or specs provided, I just skip over it and carry on to something else. Or maybe at least ask if it's plugged in to a powered receptacle and to provide more details and Mac info.

And I sure wouldn't blame others for doing the same thing.

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.