Airport Extreme Double NAT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 3,1
I want to set my Airport Extreme to bridge mode in order to eliminate a double NAT issue. Is it necessary to completely reset the Airport?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
On the back of the Airport extreme next to the security slot there should be a small circular hole that you can use a pen tip or pin to depress. When the Airport is powered on and configured the LED on the front should be green, press and hold this small button for a few seconds and the front LED should start blinking in orange indicating that it's reset back to factory settings. You will then use Airport Utility to configure it..

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 3,1
Thanks for the quick response, Ashwin, but I was wondering if I really need to reset the Airport at all, including name and security details. Things seem to be fine other than the NAT duplication of the ISP modem and my Extreme. If I don't have to rename, etc. that would be great.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
You can switch to Bridge mode without doing a full reset. You should see the option in Airport Utility maybe under the Internet tab where it comes to Connection Sharing..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I want to set my Airport Extreme to bridge mode in order to eliminate a double NAT issue. Is it necessary to completely reset the Airport?

Thanks for the quick response, Ashwin, but I was wondering if I really need to reset the Airport at all, including name and security details. Things seem to be fine other than the NAT duplication of the ISP modem and my Extreme. If I don't have to rename, etc. that would be great.

Hi Rocketfish - usually, a double NAT is due to the presence of two routers setting up different networks; so I'm assuming that your ISP modem is also a 'combo router'? Please provide more details on the other modem/router, your network cabling/wireless setup, and whether you need a router in 'bridge mode' (e.g. to help w/ wireless coverage)? Answers to these questions will better help responders. Dave :)

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 3,1
Here goes:

Airport Extreme is 5th generation with most current firmware v 7.7.8 installed. El Capitan, v.10.11.6.

The ISP router is a Hitron CGN3ACR. It can provide a wifi signal, but unfortunately, it was installed in a metal communications cabinet which effectively shields the wifi. So my solution is to run Ethernet cabling to the Airport, as well as other hardwired Ethernet wall outlets.

If I set this modem to Bridge mode, I lose all the other Ethernet access points throughout the house as the Hitron in Bridge leaves only one Ethernet port active (the one I’ve connected to the Airport).

My objective here is to distribute wifi with the Extreme instead of the Hitron which is shielded in its current location. Moving it is not an option.

Once again, I’m looking for advice as to whether or not I can choose Bridge mode on the Airport without resetting it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.