Permissions on partitions of external HDD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 iMac 24" M1 512/16/8/8 Sonoma. 2013 iMac 20.5" 3.1 i7 16GB Catalina. iPhone 13
I have a Toshiba external drive divided into four equal partitions and used for CCC clones.

When I 'Get Info' from any of the partitions the permissions are shown as 'You can only read'. I click on the padlock and enter my password so that I can tick the box 'Ignore ownership on this volume'. I then close the padlock and the permissions show 'You have custom access'. Below that I am shown as having 'Read & Write' privileges.

When I have finished with the external drive it is ejected and the next time it is installed all my privileges have disappeared and indicate 'You can only read'.

Is this what should happen or am I doing something wrong?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I just tested this with an external drive I use for CCC backup and it appears you're correct. Evidently, the system locks the external drive each time when it's mounted. Why do you need write access to the drive if you're using it for a CCC backup? (Carbon Copy Cloner can write to the drive thru the system.) By the way, the "system" and "wheel" both retain read and write access, all others - read only.

OP
pine man
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 iMac 24" M1 512/16/8/8 Sonoma. 2013 iMac 20.5" 3.1 i7 16GB Catalina. iPhone 13
Thanks for your response and also for testing what happens on your external drive. It's good to know I don't have a problem.

The only reason I use 'Ignore ownership' is so that I can make notes in the Comments section of Get Info. Also I have found that, on occasion, if I want to erase the contents of a partition Disk Utility will not always carry out the process unless I use 'Ignore ownership'.

Thanks once again for setting my mind at rest.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.