ipad pro 10.5

Reaction score
Anyone else notice the screen on the new iPad pro 10.5 is very sensitive to fingerprints? I have a iPad mini 2 and don't use a screen protector and it does not show a single fingerprint! The screens are very different and I made the mistake thinking I don't need a screen protector because I assumed it would be like the mini... now I can't get these spots off the screen...

Also, battery life... I was on it for 5 minutes just setting up my e-mail and such, and it went down 4% in battery life in 5 minutes! Anyone else notice how fast the battery goes down?

And I'm not sure if its my wifi but when playing movies or looking at photos online its kinda blurry.... not crispy clear at all :Lips-Are-Sealed::Smirk:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have a new 10.5" iPad Pro and have not noticed any special sensitivity to fingerprints. I don't usually use my fingers on my iPads anyway, instead I use a soft rubber tipped pointer which I also use on my iPhone. You should be able to remove any fingerprints you made with a soft cloth or some lens cleaner on a soft tissue if real stubborn.

As far as battery life goes, it's been very good. Most folks say they're getting around 10 hours from a full charge with their iPad Pro. The retina screen on the new 10.5" iPad Pro is clear and the resolution is great. It's also very fast. I can scan thru these forums just as fast as I can with my iMac.

You probably should buy a Zagg screen protector if you're worried about finger prints. Not sure if they're available for the 10.5" models yet. I had to wait several days before I was able to get the Apple keyboard for the 10.5" iPad Pro. They were not available when I went to pickup the iPad at the Apple store. I wound up ordering it from Best Buy instead.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, Mac Mini (late-2012), 13" MBP M1, 27" iMac 2020, iPad Mini, iPhone SE, 4-Apple TVs, AW6
I bought the Yoozoon version for the iPad 10.5" from Amazon. Good thing it's a two-pack because I completely botched the install on the first one. The second try went ok, though. It works fine with the Apple Pencil and doesn't show fingerprints as badly.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
In answering my own question about the Zagg... They do have a glass screen protector for the iPad Pro 10.5" and 12.9". Expensive though, $54.99 for 10.5" screen protector.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, Mac Mini (late-2012), 13" MBP M1, 27" iMac 2020, iPad Mini, iPhone SE, 4-Apple TVs, AW6
In answering my own question about the Zagg... They do have a glass screen protector for the iPad Pro 10.5" and 12.9". Expensive though, $54.99 for 10.5" screen protector.

Ouch!!! That's pricey. Mine was way cheaper.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I overall get better battery life in normal usage than I do with my iPad Air. Both the Air and the 10.5 Pro show fingerprints as I have sort of greasy fingers I guess but wipe totally clean with a Lint Free cloth.

I agree with Charlie, the thing seems as fast as my iMac! I am very impressed.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.5 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Well, I suppose I should make some comment as I too have recently bought myself the 2017 iPad Pro, 10.5.

This is certainly the fastest iPad I've ever owned. Only the very latest iMac, with top specs will be faster. Battery lasts 9-10 hours and charging is very quick. But, of course, personal use varies enormously.

Fingerprints are no more than any other iDevice. But then, I'm a bit obsessive in that, where humanly possible, I wash my hands or use an alcoholic gel before using any touch device. Seems sensible to me, but many would disagree.

Ian

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@Ian:

Did you purchase the Apple Pencil or Smart Keyboard along with your new iPad? As for fingerprint avoidance, I use a rubber tipped stylus on all my iOS devices which does help to keep the screen free from any marks or smears.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.5 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Yes. I bought the Pencil at the same time. Very useful and likely to be even more so with iOS 11.

First time I've used any pencil-like device. Still learning.

I didn't buy the Smart Keyboard. My typing, unlike yours, is frankly diabolical. Right index finger does the typing with the left index finger gently hovering over the shift key. Pathetic really.

But the Pencil does speed up the typing a bit and other things too.

It's amazing I get anything posted here given the time it takes me to put it together. Made worse by my determination to get the spelling and grammar correct if I possibly can.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm eager to use the pencil with the Affinity photo app I bought for the iPad Pro. Just playing around with the sample images was pretty cool. I also use it just to tap around since it does avoid fingerprints and has a very accurate point to it. My biggest fear with the pencil is losing it since it was so pricey.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Be careful with the Pencil when drawing. Some users have reported scratches on the screen which they claim was caused by the Pencil. That was with using the Pencil on the original 12.9" iPad Pro and the 9.7" models. I haven't heard of any complaints about scratches on the newer 10.5" iPad Pro but you might want to use caution anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Be careful with the Pencil when drawing. Some users have reported scratches on the screen which they claim was caused by the Pencil. That was with using the Pencil on the original 12.9" iPad Pro and the 9.7" models. I haven't heard of any complaints about scratches on the newer 10.5" iPad Pro but you might want to use caution anyway.
The screen protector is working well with the pencil. Doesn't seem to affect touch at all.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Since this thread is about the new 10.5" iPad pro, just used the camera tonight. I read it was basically what the iPhone 7 uses and I can believe it! Looks better than any other devices camera in the house.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.