How to create a VM to run a previous version of OSX

Reaction score
Hello,

I am currently trying to run a program called 3d Equalizer and it won't run on Sierra. I emailed the developers and they mentioned that Apple changed some infrastructure in OSX 10.12 (Sierra). As a consequence many X11 apps (including 3DE) are not working anymore. They mentioned a way around this was to downgrade the OSX.

I am wondering if creating and running El Capitan (the previous version) on VM would solve this issue? If so, what would be the optimal way to create the VM on my current OSX so I can run 3d equalizer on it. I prefer this to downgrading my whole OSX which could result in some loss to current files.

Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Some folks have solved problems similiar to yours by partitioning their hard drive and running a previous version of OS X on one partition and the latest on the other. You can do some research on that and probably come up with a fairly good procedure for the process.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.