Dock Disappears When Touched by Mouse on Occasion

Reaction score
The Dock on the bottom of the computer screen disappears when the computer mouse touches it, but not always, just on occasion.
Note that in the Preferences > Dock window, the option "Automatically hide and show the Dock" is "not" check-marked.

As such, I don't know why the Dock disappears on occasion when touched by the mouse.
I can make the dock re-appear by moving the mouse over the Dock area again, but I don't want the Dock to disappear in the first place.

This seems to be a bug of some sort.
I'm running the El Capitan OS X, but I know this is also a problem in Sierra.

Thanks for any tips on how to prevent the Dock from disappearing on occasion when touched by the mouse.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks. I activated the Option-Command-D keyboard sequence so that the Dock should always remain visible.
I'll have to see how that goes over time. Thanks again for the tip.

OP
S
Reaction score
The Dock just disappeard again at random.
And I'm not accidently tapping the Option-Command-D keys.

This is just a potential bug in El Capitan and Sierra, but maybe not a common one.
I just re-installed a fresh, new copy of El Capitan and the occasional disappearance of the Dock still happens when the mouse momentarily moves over the Dock.

M

MacInWin

Well, it's most likely NOT a general bug because it's not happening on any of my 5 systems. So it should be something unique to your system. Do you have any "helper" software installed? AntiVirus? Cleaners? Memory Managers? Text expanders? Basically, anything other than the OS?

OP
S
Reaction score
No, I have a fresh install of El Capitan, which makes the problem even more mysterious.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
No, I have a fresh install of El Capitan, which makes the problem even more mysterious.

Can you make it happen if you cold boot your Mac using Safe Boot Mode????

Note that in the Preferences > Dock window, the option "Automatically hide and show the Dock" is "not" check-marked.

I'd also suggest making some changes in the Preferences opposite to what you want, then open it again and set them to the way you DO want. That should update the Preference .plist file in case it's corrupt or partially corrupt.

But intermittent goofy things are a PITA to solve usually.

EDIT:
I'm not sure if a SMC or PRAM reset would do any good but if you get desperate… maybe try. :Smirk:

- Patrick
======

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.