Alright! I'm gettin the MBP!

M

MarteDVX

Haha I have been debating sooo long, and I was going to get a refurbished PB, now I have made up my mind to get the MBP. I am the 1.83 new, and am upgrading the HD to 7200rpm. Does this cause the MBP to get any hotter or anything bad about the 7200rpm? I also am going to buy the 2gig of ram kit from powerlinememory.com, has anyone had good experience from there? I am going to buy the Factory original, so that doesn't void my warranty right? I am praying the MBP I get, has no problems and I am one of the "lucky" people. :p

Reaction score
I upgraded my HD to a 7200rpm HD and it DOES NOT make it any hotter.

MarteDVX said:
Haha I have been debating sooo long, and I was going to get a refurbished PB, now I have made up my mind to get the MBP. I am the 1.83 new, and am upgrading the HD to 7200rpm. Does this cause the MBP to get any hotter or anything bad about the 7200rpm? I also am going to buy the 2gig of ram kit from powerlinememory.com, has anyone had good experience from there? I am going to buy the Factory original, so that doesn't void my warranty right? I am praying the MBP I get, has no problems and I am one of the "lucky" people. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
MarteDVX said:

AFAIK adding a 7200RPM drive uses more power, so it'd be a larger drain on the battery. Haven't heard about heat issues yet

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2006 | 2011 21.5in iMac-1tb-i5-12gig | iPhone 3gs
Just ordered my MBP yesterday.... I'm so excited!!!

Also crossing my fingers nothing goes wrong...

This will be my first BRAND NEW Mac Laptop! Can't WAIT til it arrives!!!!

Bought the 15" and upgraded to 2gig memory and the drive to 120 gig.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
the 7200rpm will drain the battery a bit like others have said but i dont know how much.

enjoy and good luck with it

OP
M

MarteDVX

ok cool. yea this will be my first mac laptop ever, i am going to order mine hopefully within the next week and a half. I will also be upgrading the ram to 2gigs. does the 7200rpm hd actually improve thaaat much?

OP
M

MagicBoy

The 7200rpm hard drives have a faster seek time, but the sustained transfer rate is about the same as a big platter 5400rpm drive. I've gone from a Dell PC laptop that was upgraded with a Hitachi 7k60 to the MBP with a 5400rpm drive and I've no complaints with the HDD speed. I've now got the 7k60 sat in a firewire enclosure (a waste I know!)

The 7k60 in the Dell made no detectable difference to battery life compared to the 20Gb 4200rpm Toshiba that was shipped originally. The performance difference was night and day...

Reaction score
London, Germany, USA, France, Holland, Belgium, Ca
Your Mac's Specs
Too many to list but have the latest to oldest macs.
Performace wise I feel there is no real gain with one or the other. I ahve 2 2 gig models one witha 120gb 5400rpm harddrive the otehr with the 7200rpm harddrive. Both work the same, I personaly would prefer to have the space of my wives macbook. Oh well, as for heat issues have you used macbook, I would dare to suggest that you would not notice any differance in heat. Battery wise I get the smae as old powerbooks with simlair drives.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.