MBP screen looks like green tie-dye

Reaction score
Out of nowhere tonight, my wife's late 2012 MBP decided to start displaying everything in a green tie-dye fashion? Anyone have any suggestions? I have replaced the hard drive, SATA cable and RAM in the past 3 months. I'm at my wits end with this machine. HELP!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What we suggest as a test is to attach an external monitor or TV set to the 2012 MBP to see if the same occurs on the external screen. That will tell us if it's the graphics chip that's acting up or the display on the 2012 MBP. Let us know.

OP
G
Reaction score
What we suggest as a test is to attach an external monitor or TV set to the 2012 MBP to see if the same occurs on the external screen. That will tell us if it's the graphics chip that's acting up or the display on the 2012 MBP. Let us know.

The MbP lacks an HDMI or other output that is compatible with any tv or monitor we have. Any other suggestions or ways to test it?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There is always a way to connect even if it means you would need an adapter, however, try this: Take a screenshot of your full screen and post it here if you can. Or if you have another Mac try Target Display Mode. You need to find out if it's the display that's defective or something to do with the graphics. Another possibility is a loose video cable or one that's defective.

Also, has the machine been dropped recently or perhaps put in a backpack under a heavy load?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.