Creating Apple ID on new MacBook without having a current email address??

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Background:

For years my wife and I have shared my Apple ID thereby allowing sync across our iPhones, iPads and my iMac.

My wife wants her own MacBook and her own identity - i.e., her own Apple ID and own iCloud.com email address.

Problem: we only have one email address, which is mine, and it is used for my Apple ID. My wife has no email address of her own.

Question:

I will buy her the MacBook. When it arrives, brand new, can she create an Apple ID by first creating an iCloud email account and using that to register her Apple ID?

I'm grateful for any help you can offer.

Ian

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
When you "register" her new Macbook and go through the process of creating that Apple ID, it will create the associated "icloud.com" account for her. So you don't need a separate email address to set up the Apple ID.

Last edited:
OP
IWT

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Brilliant, Ashwin. Just what I was hoping to hear.

Thank you very much.

Ian

OP
IWT

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

For anyone coming across this thread, I just wanted to confirm that what Moderator Raz0rEdge advised was absolutely correct - thank you again Ashwin.

I bought my wife her MacBook Pro and in the start-up wizard, we came across setting up an Apple ID. It asked her to use her current ID if she had one - no she didn't.

Offered to Create a new Apple ID - yes please. Use email address - OR - underneath create iCloud email address, which we did. Then added her password. Automatically, her new iCloud email address became her Username for her Apple ID and the PWs as well.

Very, very easy.

One nasty surprise was that 2 Factor Authorisation was turned on without any option or consultation - and I now find that it cannot be turned off! New rules with latest devices and 10.12.5.

In my wife's case, absolutely pointless as she only owns the MacBook Pro, so the verification code was sent to the same Mac as she was trying to register - mad or what?

However, I persuaded her change things so that any future code was sent to one of 2 phones (her Mobile first; and our Home landline as backup) because I thought this much more secure when a verification code was needed.

Hope this info might help others.

Ian

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
One nasty surprise was that 2 Factor Authorisation was turned on without any option or consultation - and I now find that it cannot be turned off! New rules with latest devices and 10.12.5.

Are you sure of that Ian? I just finished setting up a new 10.5" iPad Pro and selected "Other Option" when it tried to do 2FA. It did not insist or force me to use 2FA (nor do I want to).

OP
IWT

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, Charlie, I can't be certain of anything these days;P

I was assisting my wife through every stage of the setup, in particular, looking for 2FA. It is entirely possible that I missed a chance to ignore it. I have to accept that possibility.

What seems more certain, is that we can't turn it off. We've signed in to Apple > Security > Edit and 2FA is shown as "On", but the previous ability to turn it off has been removed. Reading the Apple support documentation, informs me that newer MacBooks "may not" allow 2FA to be turned off.

Fortunately, in my wife's case this not as big an issue as it would be for me.

She only "owns" her MacBook Pro - all her other devices and mine are "owned" by me under my Apple ID.

I'll keep you posted on this,

Thank you for your interest. My wife is totally chuffed with her Mac and her new-found independence!

Ian

OP
IWT

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is a Quote from the article listed below, dated 21 June 2017:

Some Apple IDs created in iOS 10.3 or macOS 10.12.4 and later are protected with two-factor authentication by default. In this case, you see that two-factor authentication is already turned on.

And this quote:
If you don't see the option to turn off two-factor authentication on your Apple ID account page, that means you can't turn it off.

Both taken from: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204915

Ian

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Well Ian, it appears you're correct. Apparently it's in effect for those creating a new Apple ID and not us old timers who created one back in the Stone Age. :)

OP
IWT

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Charlie, it's one of those times when I wish I wasn't correct.

It doesn't really impact my wife too much, but would be a major headache for me if it became compulsory.

O tempora o mores

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.