iMac 2gHz Time Limited?

C

caveatipss

I can buy a 20" with the highest specs this month, or I can wait until the 2.33 come out. I guess I am wondering if anyone knows almost precisely when that will be. Honestly, if I buy the 2.0 and the 2.33 comes ou soon thereafter, I will be seriously angry and will demand a refund.

OP
C

caveatipss

P.S. Here is what I can buy this month.

Specifications

* 2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB
* 500GB Serial ATA drive
* ATI Radeon X1600/256MB VRAM
* SuperDrive 8x (DVD+R DL/DVD+RW/CD-RW)
* iWork '06 preinstalled
* Wireless Keyboard & Mouse + Mac OS X - U.S. English
* Accessory kit
* 20-inch widescreen LCD
* 2GHz Intel Core Duo
* AirPort Extreme
* Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
You will not notice much difference between 2.0 and 2.33. At least not enough to make it worth the wait.

OP
C

caveatipss

Really? I would think that 333 mHz on each core would be noticeable at least?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
no it will be negligable just go and get the iMac if you can afford it, you will always be out done by a new machine in a few months its just the story of life

Reaction score
Given today's available Apps, what's the great need..

for more speed? I don't have anything I need to work on or enjoy on my iMac that would require anything more than what I have at 2.0ghz

OP
C

caveatipss

inflexion said:
no it will be negligable just go and get the iMac if you can afford it, you will always be out done by a new machine in a few months its just the story of life

But I want in on the front edge of the wave! lol

OP
C

caveatipss

farmcock said:
for more speed? I don't have anything I need to work on or enjoy on my iMac that would require anything more than what I have at 2.0ghz

Maybe it's just my PC mindset lol, but "need" and "want" are two different things. Technically, my 700 mHz, old IBM laptop with 128 MB RAM functions, but it is crap lol.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually, that is the PC mindset and that is what Intel wanted you to believe for years. They sold millions of people on the "faster is always better" concept until it burned them in the end.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC 20" Intel Core Duo
baggss said:
Actually, that is the PC mindset and that is what Intel wanted you to believe for years. They sold millions of people on the "faster is always better" concept until it burned them in the end.

I agree.

The 2.0 is a plenty,and thats coming from someone who also owns a dual core AMD 64 X2.

Now it doesn't compete in intense gaming ,but for everything else it does the job well.The ilife package is so idiot proof.Its not hard on a PC,but its just crazy simple on my mac.

Im very happy with the Imac,and my AMD is only used to play select games,or run a couple of apps that aren't own my Mac..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz C2D macbook
If you want to keep track of possible upgrades and such try http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/. they analyze rumors and previous release dates and come up with time of future upgrades. so far they've been fairly accurate

OP
C

caveatipss

iRepublican said:
I agree.

The 2.0 is a plenty,and thats coming from someone who also owns a dual core AMD 64 X2.

Now it doesn't compete in intense gaming ,but for everything else it does the job well.The ilife package is so idiot proof.Its not hard on a PC,but its just crazy simple on my mac.

Im very happy with the Imac,and my AMD is only used to play select games,or run a couple of apps that aren't own my Mac..

Ok, that worries me lol. I am an avid gamer. But as long as I CAN play my HL2, CSS, and WoW reasonably well, I can be happy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
caveatipss said:
Ok, that worries me lol. I am an avid gamer. But as long as I CAN play my HL2, CSS, and WoW reasonably well, I can be happy.

2.33GHz is about a 15% increase on the sole CPU (ok, each core of it), but as the Front Side Bus stays the same, overall performance increase is just marginal, maybe 1-2%.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
TBH, if you really want a powerhouse mac for gaming, wait until the Intel replacement for G5 PowerMac comes out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
caveatipss said:
P.S. Here is what I can buy this month.

Specifications

* 2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB
* 500GB Serial ATA drive
* ATI Radeon X1600/256MB VRAM
* SuperDrive 8x (DVD+R DL/DVD+RW/CD-RW)
* iWork '06 preinstalled
* Wireless Keyboard & Mouse + Mac OS X - U.S. English
* Accessory kit
* 20-inch widescreen LCD
* 2GHz Intel Core Duo
* AirPort Extreme
* Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR

I have this exact iMac except for the 500gb hard drive (month lead time on that one when I bought it). Actually, it's my wifes, I just like to pretend :) Like the others have said, you're not going to notice a huge difference between 2ghz and 2.33ghz. The machine is already wicked fast. Just buy that one and be happy with it!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.