Should I Open this Mac?

Reaction score
I have a factory sealed 2015 Macbook Pro. My question is, do you guys think it will appreciate in value over the years or should I just open and use it?

I don't have a pressing need to open it.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
It will absolutely NOT appreciate in value, but being a factory sealed MBP means that it has a high resale value right now. However, realize that Apple is releasing new MBPs every year. So since that 2015 MBP was released, there's been the 2016 with Touch Bar and now the updates announced in June. So your 2015 is now 2 "generations" behind..

Most new buyers will likely want the Touch Bar and/or the Kaby Lake processors on the 2017 update..

So look at eBay or other similar sites to see what the price of a MBP like yours is going for, and you can add a little bit extra because yours is factory sealed.

These Macs are not collectables and as such will not increase in value, if anything as technology continues to improve quickly, the older Macs will be outdated and useless..:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
It will absolutely NOT appreciate in value,

+1!!!

(Bold mine)

And I wonder what shape/condition its battery is in. Hmmm…???

At least the charge cycles would be LOW!!! If it would even show.

If you need it and can use it, just open it and start using it after a battery charge and software updates, otherwise, advertise and sell it as a factory sealed unit.

- Patrick
======

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
These batteries are generally fine "in rest" where they don't get any cycles at all. Obviously, what charge they had when they came out of the factory is gone, but it shouldn't adversely affect the lifetime of the battery resting for the past couple of years..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
These batteries are generally fine "in rest"

OK, and good to know.

- Patrick
======

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have a factory sealed 2015 Macbook Pro. My question is, do you guys think it will appreciate in value over the years or should I just open and use it?

I don't have a pressing need to open it.

If you have a sealed 2015 MacBook Pro that you have "no pressing need to open it". Sell it ASAP!!!

- Nick

p.s. Thread moved to better area.

Reaction score

Here are the types of things that increase in value (i.e. are collectable):

- Firsts of its kind

- Things made in small numbers (or which have become hard to find) and/or by hand that are historically significant or of unusual utility

- Items that have timeless beauty and which are distinct from similar modern examples

A 2015 Macbook Pro is a simple utilitarian item like a bunch of others on the market that was made in huge numbers. There is nothing unique about it. Electronics, and especially computers, quickly become outdated and less, rather than more value. Even 50 years from now it is unlikely that a 2015 Macbook Pro will be something that anyone will find collectable, though they might find it to be "quaint."

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A great example of an Apple computer that fits the three parameters Randy mentioned is the 20th Anniversary Mac (released 1997)...the 20th year of Apple computers. I always wanted one...but even a few years after it's release it was already still pricey.

Checked eBay...and there are two for sale at around $1500 each. Pretty good for a 20 year old computer!:)

A VERY cool design...would be an awesome design even in 2017!:) And remember this was BEFORE any of the iMac's were released.

TAM.jpg

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
LOL - the tower is not dissimilar to the currrent one (which looks like a rubbish bin...).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
LOL - the tower is not dissimilar to the currrent one (which looks like a rubbish bin...).

Once looking like a rubbish/trashcan, always looking like a rubbish/trashcan!!!

Except when it's possibly completely hidden and covered by all the peripherals and cables plugged into it. But still loosing value daily!!! :Evil:

- Patrick
======

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
- the tower is not dissimilar to the currrent one (which looks like a rubbish bin...).

Just in case there was any confusion. The tower/trashcan in the image...is a sub-woofer speaker...and would probably sit under the table somewhere out of sight.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.