How to remove popup virus/malware in browsers

Reaction score
Hi.

I am all new here on the forum so thanks for having me:)

I have the last week had in all my browsers, Safari, Chrome and Firefox windows/tabs popping up almost every time I go to an address/link. The window goes to various sites. I have gone through the browsers settings clearing out any unwanted search engines, same with my program list, no unknown programs there. I have also run Malwarebytes - Antimalvare which found a few files that I deleted. I also installed and run Sophos Antivirus who found a few files i deleted but obviously didn`t fix my problem.

So does anyone have any tips or guides on how to get rid of this?

Of course this is my own fault for being a sucker at downloading freeware etc etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

Terjemk

Reaction score
Hello terjemk, Welcome to the Forum.

Are you using a good ad-blocker? Try something like uBlockOrigin or AdBlock Plus.

OP
T
Reaction score
Hey!

Yes I forgot to tell you that I have AdBlock Plus installed and working well. Esp when I visit pages that heavily rely on ads. But this problem is bigger in the sense that the popups now occur regardless of what sites I visit. About 80% of the time I go to another address or follow a link the popups apear. So my thought was that this must be something installed on my mac rather than something happening at specific sites.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Well you admit you have been downloading freeware. Unfortunately what is free is not always without strings attached. Most of the freeware will have other little unwanted add ons you did not bargain for such as toolbars etc.

Since this is happening with all your browsers what I suggest is to check the extensions that are running on all your browsers. For example - you say you run Adblock Plus, this will be listed wherever extensions are shown in the browser. Look at what else is there and either uncheck or delete any you do not recognize. Next download and run Onyx . Run the automation selection. This will clear out browser caches and other trash.

Re-run malwarebytes too. Truthfully you don't need Sophos as it will only help detect malware that affects Windows but if it is not slowing your system downs it won't hurt.

I run an extension called Ghostery. It can be run with Adblock Plus and I find it does an excellent job blocking all kinds of things. You can set it to block whatever you want which I like.

Lisa

OP
T
Reaction score
Thank you Lisa for your advice.

I`ll go through the suggested steps.

Terjemk

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
A warm welcome to Mac-Forums.

I agree with all of the above. Get rid of Sophos. In a Macworld survey, it didn't detect any Malware and, of all those tested, it slowed down the Mac the most. More importantly, AV software in general, and Sophos more so, blocked genuine Apple updates because they thought they were "viruses".

After all, an Apple update does change things, often at root level, and Sophos and other AV apps don't like that.

Uninstalling Sophos can be difficult as it gets into your Mac in all sorts of places, so make sure you uninstall it thoroughly.

Adblock Plus, Ghostery, (and uBlock) will prevent this sort of thing and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware app will remove any malware already on your system.

Lisa has also mentioned OnyX, a very helpful and trusted app if used properly - download - install - run - check on "automation" - Execute. It can be downloaded from here: https://www.titanium-software.fr/en/onyx.html

Make sure you download the version specific to your Operating System whatever that is.

Ian

OP
T
Reaction score
Hi Ian.

I´ll take your advice and uninstall Sophos as it seems nt to be of any use.

I do have CleanMyMac installed and use it frequently to swipe the mac and clean up clutter. Do you think CMM would be as good as Onyx, could I use both or do you recommend me to switch to Onyx all together?

Terjemk

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi Terjemk

Personal preference and bias comes into everything we do - I am no exception.

My view is that Clean My Mac, used very carefully, is probably alright; but most of us prefer to have a good, strong app that will do the job at "automatic" level rather than taxing our brains with layers of complexity.

With this in mind, I'd always advise OnyX - choosing "automation" and leaving the check boxes as they are by default.

What is clear is that you don't need more than one. Don't use both. Either you stick with CMM and use it very cautiously or download OnyX and trash CMM.

I've never used anything other than OnyX - personal choice:Blushing:

Good fortune to you.

Ian

OP
T
Reaction score
Hey again Ian!

I REALLY appreciate your straightforward response and advice. I`ll uninstall CMM and test Onyx to see how it feels. I seem to remember having used Onyx back in the days. As long as it works.)

Agian thanks for your advice. And thanks to this forum for really quick response.

Cheers!

Terjemk

Reaction score
More importantly, AV software in general, and Sophos more so, blocked genuine Apple updates because they thought they were "viruses".
Hmm, interesting. Myself being new to the Mac computer, Is there any proof of this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
We have heard this song before.

If there ever is a virus, and I don't mean malware or adware which AV companies call 'viruses' to hook Mac users, it will be world headline news period. Whilst this Fortunbe article is years old, nothing has changed and I like the 'name one' challenge:-

http://fortune.com/2009/09/02/why-are-there-no-mac-viruses/

Reaction score
I know about the Mac not getting a Virus. Maybe I posted my question wrong. There are people that have AV software on their Mac computer. The question was: Is there any proof that the AV software blocked genuine Apple updates?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Sorry truckie misunderstood your question. I have read if the advisability of disabling AV software when doing updates but never heard anything about preventing. Then again i have not used AV software since Classic OS 9 days.

Reaction score
Solution for Popup

Hello, as I am new to the forum as well. I just want to know that is there any antivirus which is able to remove popup and secure the system from virus and malware both? I don't have much knowlwdge Anyone can clear my query?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Most of our forum members don't bother with antivirus software. The most commonly recommended software for detecting/removing malware is Malwarebytes

Reaction score
Here are some useful tips for removing Pop-Up Ads, Adware & Redirects from Web Browser:
- Uninstall Unwanted Programs from your system.
- Use AdwCleaner to remove Adware and Pop-up Ads.
- Use Malwarebytes to Scan for Browser Hijackers and Redirects.
- Use HitmanPro to scan your PC for Trojans and Malware.
- Double-check for malware with Zemana AntiMalware Free.
- Reset the Web Browser to Default Settings.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Suggest also that you do a restart once you have installed and run Adblock etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Hello, as I am new to the forum as well. I just want to know that is there any antivirus which is able to remove popup and secure the system from virus and malware both? I don't have much knowlwdge Anyone can clear my query?

I believe your question is answered in the previous posts in this thread. Look at #5 and #8

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.