Organise iTunes-Software?

Reaction score
I have loads of music files without names and I have a lot of duplicates...

Can someone recommend the most commonly used software for organising iTunes?

I don't think my actual 'iTunes folder' has any duplicates in them though...just in iTunes.

Thank you.

Last edited:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I'll let others chime in on utilities that might be helpful. The ones I've tried I''ve not been impressed with or I'm doing something wrong.

Dealing with duplicates can be interesting. One of the ways that duplicates can appear in the list is if you have two tracks with the same title though it comes from two different artists/same artists on different albums. It can also occur if you have multiple unidentified tracks that have several named track 1, several named track 2, etc. Because off these things the duplicate finder in iTunes is often not very good.

Here's what I have done in the past. I can be time-consuming but has helped me a few times.
1. Open iTunes and go to Preferences>Advanced. If either of the first two boxes are checked make sure both are unchecked. After we're done you can out things back the way they were. Close the preference sheet.
2. Make sure you are in the music section then select everything (Command A). Now hit delete. This is deleting the current pointers in the library it does not delete the files. You will be asked whether you want t9o delete the files. Choose No.
3. All the current pointers to the songs have now been deleted. To correct that go to the iTunes File menu >Add to Library. Find your music folder and open it. This forces iTunes to rebuild the links. It may take some time depending upon the size of your library.
4. If you have songs that do not have correct titles etc. select the track and choose File>Get Info (Command I). This allows you to edit the track tags.

Once everything is done you can go back to iTunes Preferences>Advanced and set the music folder preferences back to what they were.

You might find either or both of these articles helpful
http://www.macworld.com/article/2047675/itunes-tagging-basics-and-tips.html
http://www.macworld.com/article/2148967/the-ultimate-itunes-tagging-guide-cleaning-up-your-tags.html

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.