SD Card not showing up

Reaction score
I have just bought a used A1278 MacBook Pro. It has an SD card slot, but when I insert the SD card I used on my old MacBook Air, it does not show up on the desktop. How can I tell if the slot is working ok, or make the MacBook Pro recognise the card?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
Are the Finder preferences set to show external discs on the desktop - in the menu bar click on

Finder > Preferences > General

and make sure the relevant box is checked.

If they are and the card is still not showing up, have you tried a blast of air into the SD card slot? It may be it just has dust in it and needs clearing out.

If it's still not working, have you got another SD card you can try to see if that works. If it doesn't show then it's likely the card reading slot isn't working. If it does show up, then the fault is with the Transcend card.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks, nickyr. Yes, the Preferences are set to show all drives, and I tried blowing into the slot and even very gently cleaning the terminals, but no go. The SD card still shows up fine on my old machine, so it must be a problem with the slot or the circuits attached to it. I'll contact the person I bought the machine from and see if he was aware (although I doubt he'll say if he was!).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
You might want to try checking the "System Info": Click the Apple (top left menu) as you would to see About this Mac but hold the option while doing so.

In the resulting window you should see an option to select the "Card Reader" I believe, and see what it says and any card or info that might be listed.

EDIT:
You can also try inserting the CD card and if it doesn't mount, Restart your Mac and see if it then shows.

And then there's the ol'google lookup:
https://www.google.ca/search?client...&oe=UTF-8&gfe_rd=cr&ei=unVEWdHvCejs8weYy5G4Aw

- Patrick
======

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 15", Original iPad, iPad 6, iPhone 5
For a while my SD cards weren't showing up after previously working. I read somewhere to really jam it in there and now it reads. Don't break it, obviously, but press it well in with a good strong motion. I use Bridge to download my pix but it does show up on the desktop as a drive so one can use finder or anything to copy the files. Hope you have success. It's very handy to have the reader on board. (don't delete the files on the SD card with the computer, but format with your camera).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.