External drive via network?

Reaction score
I have two Macs, a 12' G4 Power Book and a new 20' iMac which are connected to each other, and the net, via an Airport base station. Everything seems to be working quite well. I can transfer files from one computer to another with no problems. However, on my iMac I have an external 250gb hard drive connected via a USB2 port. When I log onto the iMac from the Power Book I do not see this drive. I would like to be able to access this drive store or retrieve files as needed from the Power Book without having to switch the USB cable around. Is this possible via my network set-up?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2GHz Intel Core Duo w/ 2GB RAM (White)
I can tell you that it should be possible. Unfortunately, I can't tell you how. I know I've done the same thing under a very similar setup (though I was using FireWire). From the sound of your setup compared to mine, that seems to be the only difference. I don't know why that would effect it though... perhaps someone can shed more light on this?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.