Something is on my desktop

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP OS X 10.9.1, 2.3 Ghz
My desktop that usually has one item on it, now has two, it is a file called WEBLOC, and it's nomenclature is "15 notices weblog"

Can someone please tell me what this is and how did it get on my desktop.

d

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Welcome.

A WEBLOC file is a Mac OS X website shortcut typically generated by the Safari web browser. It contains the URL of a webpage and is created by dragging the website icon next to the address field, to the desktop or another folder on the hard drive.

WEBLOC files are similar to .URL files created by other programs.

You can discard these or use any of the common Browser apps to open a Webloc file (Safari, Chrome, Firefox, Opera - all, I think can open these.)

Ian

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Did my info clear things up for you? Or any further problems?

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2017 running Mojave, iPhone 12, iPad 6th generation
Welcome.

A WEBLOC file is a Mac OS X website shortcut typically generated by the Safari web browser. It contains the URL of a webpage and is created by dragging the website icon next to the address field, to the desktop or another folder on the hard drive.

WEBLOC files are similar to .URL files created by other programs.

You can discard these or use any of the common Browser apps to open a Webloc file (Safari, Chrome, Firefox, Opera - all, I think can open these.)

Ian

hi ian
in my continuing search for alternative emails to GMAIL and using apple mail.....
I recently I created "webloc" shortcuts on my MacBook for emails: gmx and protonmail..... the icons just show blank white box. while on desktop their names appear but I would like to drag these to my dock but with no icon picture, would not know until I clicked on them which was which.
is it possible to get icon pic for those linked to the weblog file?

AHA... just discovered I cannot drag it to dock. there is no app I can download for these so am stuck I guess with leaving on desktop.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
the icons just show blank white box. while on desktop their names appear but I would like to drag these to my dock but with no icon picture, would not know until I clicked on them which was which.

You should be able to create a folder on your desktop to stick the webloc files into it, and if you make an alias to that folder, you should be able to drag it to your Dock and it should act like a normal finder window. If you drag the original folder to the dock it will act like a stack.

Use the Finder to set the display viewing option order of the folder that you want.

You should also be able to name them appropriately and even give them a custom icon if you like. ie: basically treat them as a bunch of bookmarks in a folder.

Instructions for doing so using the Get Info of the file are available on the internet.

- Patrick
=======

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Lori5060, if you are looking for an alternative to Apple Mail and or gMail have you tried Spark? It's not perfect but works across all my devices.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.