Mail Questions 2 & 3

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air Mid-2012 / iMac Retina 5K Late-2014
That's just what an email alias is intended to do.

If "[email protected]" is the real email address, it's just like a house address, but if someone wants to have "jane&[email protected]" as there email address, that appears to be a different email address but in actual fact is basically just acting as a pointer to the real email address.

That's just the way email addresses work if one wants all the related email, both real address and alias address emails to arrive or be sent from a single email account.

Phew… but I didn't makeup the rules or the various methods to change or implement them.

And please don't get us into spammers and forged email addresses etc. :Mischievous:

- Patrick
======

An alias is actually most useful for 'hiding' the -actual- email address. You can create an alias, communicate with people via that alias, and then delete it without ever having to give out or affect your real email address.

The ask here was to actually keep using the real email address but change the name that gets displayed to the recipient. You know those emails that you get from "Apple Support" but are really from some bogus email address? That's not an alias - that's editing of the friendly name.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
The ask here was to actually keep using the real email address but change the name that gets displayed to the recipient.

That's exactly what they are actually doing but using an alias to just change the email sender name.

If they want to use another method, just google on 'hows to spoof an email address' etc.:
https://www.google.ca/search?client...&oe=UTF-8&gfe_rd=cr&ei=rAM_WdTvKfDe8Afy356YDw

But I believe it was mentioned that the OP wanted to use an easy and simple method.
And this is not that IMHO:
http://www.wikihow.com/Forge-Email

- Patrick
======

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air Mid-2012 / iMac Retina 5K Late-2014

That's exactly what they are actually doing but using an alias to just change the email sender name.

If they want to use another method, just google on 'hows to spoof an email address' etc.:
https://www.google.ca/search?client...&oe=UTF-8&gfe_rd=cr&ei=rAM_WdTvKfDe8Afy356YDw

But I believe it was mentioned that the OP wanted to use an easy and simple method.
And this is not that IMHO:
http://www.wikihow.com/Forge-Email

- Patrick
======

An alias is a whole new email address for which you can set whatever friendly name you'd like - including being the same as the original.

Here's another example of changing the friendly name that might help:

Say you want to get help from Apple on something, so you send an email to "support @ apple . com". Let's say that there are two people that monitor that mailbox and can respond back. One is Jane Doe and the other is John Public. At various times, you will receive an email from each of them. ALL of the emails come from the email address that you originally sent your request to. The emails from John, however, how up as "John Public support @ apple . com" while the emails from Jane show up as "Jane Doe support @ apple . com".

They're using ONE email address and representing themselves differently only by the friendly name. This is NOT a situation where aliases are in use - this is a case of only editing the Friendly name. Granted, this is not exactly how the Apple ecosystem would do this, so it's not a perfect example.

If I use the example again of a woman getting married (or divorced for that matter) but change one key thing, maybe it will be helpful.

Let's assume that Jane Doe has an email address of "[email protected]". One day, she gets married to John Smith. With zero reason to change her email address, all she would want to do is update the friendly name from "Jane Doe" to "Jane Smith". That's it. No changes, no updating friends and family, no need for a new address, nothing. But, everyone she sends email to will now see "Jane Smith" when they get a message. Easy peasy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
If I use the example again of a woman getting married

I'll just let you just do it your way and let's hope it works.

Meanwhile, it seems like the OP got things working somehow…

While I find the discussion of an e-mail alias interesting, it does go beyond what I needed to do, and have now done.

Sounds like a they got a solution and his wife is happy… and that's a critical part!!! :Mischievous:

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.