App Store purchase

Reaction score
Hi,

I purchased an app (Quick Office) from App Store in 2011 and downloaded to my iPad. I bought a few new iPads since then, now I do not have the app installed any longer. When I searched my purchase history in the App store, it was not even there. Can anyone tell me why and how can I get it back? Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you did not have a backup of Quick Office and it's no longer being sold in the App Store, I'm afraid you're out of luck. It won't matter anyway since Quick Office was a 32 bit app and will no longer run when Apple releases iOS 11. I also had a copy of Quick Office but deleted it from my library since I now use MS Office instead. At the time I purchased Quick Office, MS did not have a copy of Office for iOS.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
For others coming across this Thread; I always recommend that people either purchase their iOS apps via the iTunes App Store - and/or sync their iOS device with iTunes on a regular basis.

Either way, it means that there is always a copy in iTunes of every app you've purchased. Time passes, new device or possibly a corrupted app. That app may no longer be supported under previous purchases, but you have a copy in iTunes and you can delete/reinstall it.

Now, in this particular case, the app would only be useable with iOS 10. Won't work with iOS 11. But that isn't always the situation, so the recommendation is valid, I think.

Ian

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Good advice from Ian. I routinely do as Ian recommends and download all my iTunes Store apps to my Mac first and then later on sync them to our iPhones. When you download apps that way they will be stored in here:

Macintosh HD/Users/your user name/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/Mobile Applications/

OP
P
Reaction score
Thank you guys. Now there are two issues then:

a. I did purchase through iTunes App Store and there use to be a copy under my account. I always think it is the master copy of all apps that I downloaded and/or purchased and will stay there forever, so it is not true? Apple should not delete my purchase even though the app is no longer supported or the third party vendor does not upgrade it??

b. Even if I did sync it to iTunes, it would not be helpful in this case as it cannot work with iOS 11, right?

c. How much does it cost to purchase MS Office please?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
a. That's why it is so important to backup everything even though Apple saves a purchase history. There could be several reasons the app is not there. The developer could, for example, decide that they no longer want to pay the percentage that Apple wants. Perhaps the fact that it is not being actively updated had something to do with it.
b. That's right. See Charlie's post (#2)
c. Office for iPad is free

I've had this happen before with music i purchased from iTunes. I went to restore a compilation album and only a handful of the thirty or so tracks were still listed in my purchase history. Apparently there had been some change in the agreement that gave Apple the right to carry that music.

It's not only important to have a backup but to make sure that you download things from within iTunes periodically. I think I read recently that if you update an app from your IOS device that update no longer gets automatically synched to iTunes on the next sync. You must go into iTunes then go to Apps, click the update tab, then hit the update button at the bottom of that screen.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.