Apple TV for audio

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15 inch MBP 2.5 ghz i7 16 GB Antiglare screen
I upgraded my older Apple TV (2?) to the latest model so I have the older unit just sitting on the shelf. I've thought about using the older model as an audio-only air-play device. Is this possible? My 25 year old stereo system only has RCA inputs.

Thanks!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
A cable like this should work. If you need longer cables to make the connection use RCA male to female extension cables. There are also boxes such as this which do the same thing but most need to be plugged into a USB port. If you go this route use RCA male to RCA male cables to connect the stereo.

In either case connect the cables to one of the unused inputs on your stereo. When you want to use the Apple TV switch the stereo to that input.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hey Sly:

One of our local cable companies is giving away a Roku if you sign up with them. My son uses one (he's up in the Atlanta area) and says it's better than an Apple TV. What do you think? Are they any good?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
We currently have an Apple TV (generation 3) and recently pick up one of the cheap Roku setups (don't remember which one).Both have their pros and cons. We're just beginning to explore the Roku. I got it mainly so we could access Curiosity Stream content. There is some content available on the Roku that wasn't available for the ATV 3. That will probably change a bit as more stuff becomes available for the ATV 4.

If you have a lot of content in an iTunes library or want access to the iTunes store you'll need the Apple TV box. AFAIK Roku doesn't handle that yet.

You might find these reviews interesting:

http://fieldguide.gizmodo.com/battle-of-the-tv-boxes-android-vs-apple-vs-amazon-vs-r-1795501336
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2490937,00.asp

BTW If you are planning to use the Apple TV for streaming music, keep in mind the ATV 4 no longer has the Tosslink digital connection. IIRC the connection to the stereo can only be made via HDMI. I suppose you could use an HDMI to RCA cable to make the connection

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.