Help with configuring Windows printer

R

rat1watch

I am new to the Mac (having used Windows all the time). I have a new iMac with OS X on a home network with other Windows PCs on XP. I have set up the Mac to print on a Canon S520 connected to one of Windows PCs. I followed the help instructions and got it to work somewhat. My problem is thet I could not find my printer model (S520) on the Printer List under Canon. After some experimenting, I finally decided on S800, but the results were far from satisfactory.
Next I searched the web thinking perhaps to install the printer driver. I found and downloaded the driver S520_MacOSX_130. But now I am completely stumped as to what to do next. Please help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
do you have your PCs set up under a workgroup?

if so, what did you name your workgroup?

if not, i would suggest setting up a workgroup, and once you do that, i'll walk you through how to change your Mac's Samba configuration to join the workgroup

OP
R

rat1watch

MacAddikt said:
do you have your PCs set up under a workgroup?

if so, what did you name your workgroup?

Yes, I have all the PCs under SESAME STREET (workgroup}. I am able to locate the printer under ELMO and have selected it. I can print from the iMac. It is just that I can't identify the printer correctly to the iMac. Canon S520 is simply not on the Printer List. The closest model is S450 and S800.

OP
R

rat1watch

Ah! That's v140. I have d/l v130 and it's sitting pretty in the HD but I have no idea how to install the driver.

OP
R

rat1watch

I think I have installed the driver (at least I went through the installer per instructions and restarted. Still I can't get the printer model into the Canon List.

OP
R

rat1watch

Talked to a technician at the Apple service centre. He claims that printing from a shared Windows printer will always be problematic. He suggests getting a print server and hooking the printer(s) to the printer server. Is he correct or is this just BS?

OP
M

Mortocks

did u fix it?

G'day,

Just wondering if you solved the problem. I am also setting up a s520 which is connected to a windows computer and I want to share the printing with my powerbook and ibook. I managed to select the printer from the network printer list but (as you say) the drivers were not in my driver list. I tried using the BJC 8200 drivers but it still didn't work. Can you help?

p.s. this is my first time in a forum so if i take a long time to respond please forgive me :)

OP
C

ckeller99

I have exactly the same propblem.. The BJ 8200 driver doesn't seem to work for me either. any other ideas? Is there a way to add the BJ S520 printer in the Mac os x list of printers? Please advise.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.