Support Software Issues

Reaction score
First post here, wish me luck. I'm reposting this from the Apple Support Communities because I'm pretty desperate at the moment.

Recently I installed a fresh copy of Windows 10 with about half of my 2 terabytes of space after restoring my disk to one partition because my other OS was running out of space and I wanted to give it more. There was a weird problem with setup of this particular installation, but I got past it real easily. The problem here seems to exist with the Bootcamp installing drivers on Windows.

About halfway through, the installer that puts the Apple Support Sofware into Windows 10 force-restarts the computer and it then boots to Mac. Does anyone know anything about this?

And another thing if anyone happens to know; I'd like to know why my games are in fact running slower on Windows than on macOS and why the audio continues to stutter.

The only mistake I think I could have made was creating this partition without the latest version of macOS (however, I was still using 10.1). But that should not have interfered with the support software as it was downloaded, not retrieved from a local directory. Call me an idiot, I just have my doubts.

Thanks!

OP
P
Reaction score
Yep, I am an idiot!

As stated on Microsoft's website:

For a new installation of Windows 10 Creators Update on an Apple Mac using Boot Camp, you must first install the Windows 10 Anniversary Update using the ISO file, and then update to Windows 10 Creators Update.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Not a problem and thanks for the information. And welcome to our forums.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Weren't there some reports a few weeks ago suggesting that the Bootcamp software was having issues / conflicts with the Win 10 Creators Update? Does this update sequence resolve that. I downloaded a Win 10 .iso when it first appeared to run on my '15 iMac but haven't used it because I can't find my Win 8 codes which should have allowed me to update without buying Win 10.

To be honest I don't need Windows that often but it comes in handy once in a while. Just not sure it is often enough to justify the cost.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I believe the codes for the free update to Win 10 from 8 has already expired. Did you check to see if that free update is still valid?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Not yet. It's been really low on my list of things to do. I have the .iso I downloaded from back when the codes were still good. That's when I discovered I couldn't find my code.

I don't use Windows much. About the only thing I use it for now is:

1. A work-related site that doesn't play 100% nicely with the Mac. Minor inconvenience unless they do an update that doesn't work at all.
2. I sometimes use Windows to recover things for Windows buddies whose systems have gone into the crapper. I suppose at some point my wife will want to set a up a Win 10 partition for some of her games when the PC craps out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.