Installing new applications and avoiding sleep

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, SSD, 8GB RAM
Hi guys!

I haven't posted here yet (I don't think), but I signed up a while ago, knowing I'd be getting a MacBook Pro as soon as I could afford it. I finally got it (and LOVE it), but I just have a few newbie-to-mac questions...

1) How do I install software that is on the DVD, such as Xcode?
2) How do I keep it from going to sleep when I close the lid?

I did check thoroughly through the System Prefs about #2 but couldn't find anything. I do have a few other minor pet peeves, such as not being able to just leave the k/b backlighting on (it shuts off if I turn my light on, but I still can't quite see the keys) but all-in-all I already know I won't be looking back! :)

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
1) I think the Dev Tools are an independent install. i.e. You have to check the box during the main install. Otherwise, download Pacifist and sort through the packages.

2) There's no system installed way to do it, you must use a 3rd party app like Sleepless.

Hope that helps.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, SSD, 8GB RAM
Thanks!

Thanks for that! There's no real way to know these things when OS X comes installed for you...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
surfwax95 said:
2) There's no system installed way to do it, you must use a 3rd party app like Sleepless.

The PowerBook was able to do so (with an external screen attached), I didn't check it on the MacBook Pro yet.
To be honest, I wouldn't recomend it...The MacBook Pro get's pretty hot, hotter than any PowerBook. Leaving it on with the screen closed wouldn't do it much good...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.