New Convert

L

loureiro

Hello, everyone. I bought a new Intel 17" iMac at the end of last week and I absolutely love it. I will never touch a windows machine again...except at work...and when I have to fix other people's machines. If everyone just bought an iMac I think people would enjoy life a little more. I love that everything is built into my monitor and that I have a single wire (power) sticking out the back of my desk. Anyways...to my question.

I like to back up all of my info, including my DVD's and I have been reading up on this process on a Mac for the last couple days. I downloaded MTR and picked up a copy of DVD2OneX and Toast 7. Now I know there are hundreds of ways to do this, but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions and comments on why they like their configuration better than others.

Thanks!

OP
B

b.hicks

Glad to hear your enjoying your new Mac. I've had a Macbook (my first Apple) for about 3 weeks now and I'll never go back.

For backing up DVD's, I do them one of two ways:

This method works well and creates excellent quality backups that fit on a 4.7GB DVD-R

1. Rip the DVD onto the hard drive with "Mac the Knife" - freeware
2. Shrink the DVD with "DVD2One" - shareware
3. Burn the Audio_TS and Video_TS "roxio toast" - Retailware

A simpler method is to purchase DVDRemaster which will Rip, Compress, and Burn your Disk all in one Process.

Anyway. Cheers!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
Weclome. I am a recent convert myself. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.
Welcome from another recent convert. I have a PowerBook G4 15 inch for me, and my wife's iMac Intel will be delivered 5/12/06. Although my wife says. "Never say Never" I won't ever go back to a Windows OS, unless they make that OS as stable and as friendly as OS-X, plus NO VIRUSES, SPYWARE ..... So in other words I think from this point on I'll always be buying Apple's.

OP
L

loureiro

Yeah those oranges are messy aren't they? wow bad humor!

I have been using MacTheRipper then using toast to compress the movie only to a 4.7G disk. Is there anything wrong with doing it that way?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini DC 1.66, Powerbook G4
No there is nothing wrong with doing it that way at all :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 1.83 GHz intel duo 1.5 GB
loureiro said:
Yeah those oranges are messy aren't they? wow bad humor!

I have been using MacTheRipper then using toast to compress the movie only to a 4.7G disk. Is there anything wrong with doing it that way?

I recently made the switch from PC to MAC with the intel imac 17 too!

I agree with loureiro. Use MTR then compress/burn with Toast, much easier and much faster than using three programs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.