Help with water damaged iPhone!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 2010, iMac 2008, both running Mountain Lion
Hi all,

So I got caught in a storm today when out jogging and even though my iPhone 5C was in an arm band, it still managed to get wet. Now it's stuck in boot up mode where the Apple logo appears, then turns off, then reappears, over and over...

I was able to get it into restore mode and via iTunes I started the restore process. The phone verifies the software ok, but then when it needs to restart, it's back to getting stuck on boot up.

It seems like the hardware is damaged, but please tell me..what are my options? I've submerged it in rice already but hate that I'd have to wait 2-3 days for that to work if it even works at all. Is it encouraging that it can get into restore and verify the software? Should I just keep trying that?

I also hear that I should turn off my phone completely, but I can't figure out how. I can only get it into restore mode, and then it gets stuck again.

Please help! Thank you so much...

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The longer you use this phone (especially with the cable plugged in) without properly getting all the moisture out, the sooner it will completely die and stay dead. So put the thing in rice or other moisture sucking thing and let it sit for a while. Once it's been there long enough, take it out and see if it behaves. If it does, great, if not, it's possible some parts of fried and the phone will need to be replaced..

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I also hear that I should turn off my phone completely, but I can't figure out how

Sadly, that's the easy part.

Hold down the power button until the screen goes black and a slider appears at the top of the screen with "Slide to Power Off".

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Get the battery and sim card out straightaway (that will switch it off)...then return phone, with them, to the rice bowl. What's a few days against a (slim) chance of rescuing the phone? I revived a camera with this method but a phone's electronics are so much more exposed and vulnerable.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't know why everyone thinks that rice is the answer to drying out a wet electronic device. Actually, Silica Jel would be best, but either way it will take days or weeks before it had any effect. By that time corrosion has done its job. It would be better to take the phone apart and let it dry normally. And like Sue stated above, remove the sim card and battery.

An iPhone 5c is made of plastic and is very easily saturated with moisture within. You're probably looking at getting a new phone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
That's because most of us have a bag of rice in the house! :D

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Here's a question for folks.:)

If you bury your possible liquid damaged iPhone in a bag of rice. After a week of the iPhone sitting in the rice & you remove it. Do you still eat the rice??;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The longer you use this phone (especially with the cable plugged in) without properly getting all the moisture out, the sooner it will completely die and stay dead. So put the thing in rice or other moisture sucking thing and let it sit for a while. Once it's been there long enough, take it out and see if it behaves. If it does, great, if not, it's possible some parts of fried and the phone will need to be replaced..

Hi again,

So now I got the phone to start up and welcome screen to come on, but the touch screen doesn't seem to work. Any thoughts on how to fix this problem? Thanks again!

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@berlingoodman

It's really too soon to have started up the iPhone, in my view anyway.

If it were me, I'd have removed the battery to avoid short circuits and the SIM card too. And kept the iPhone in a drying-out state for much longer - 4 or 5 days at least; maybe even a week. Twenty-four hours isn't enough.

However, it's your phone, not mine, and you must do as you think best.

Ian

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So now I got the phone to start up and welcome screen to come on, but the touch screen doesn't seem to work. Any thoughts on how to fix this problem?

You're not following the advice provided earlier in the thread.:( It was advised to NOT turn on the phone until all moisture was removed!

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You're not following the advice provided earlier in the thread.:( It was advised to NOT turn on the phone until all moisture was removed!

- Nick

I didn't realize the phone was wet until much later, after I had come in for the rain, showered, dried off and then later looked for my phone. Also, when I tried to hard shut it down, it would just keep trying to reboot.

Clearly, it's trashed. Gonna get a new one. Thanks all for your help!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry to hear that.:(

Maybe the positive thing is...if you've been thinking of upgrading from your 5c. This is the perfect time!:)

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry to hear that.:(

Maybe the positive thing is...if you've been thinking of upgrading from your 5c. This is the perfect time!:)

- Nick

Exactly! Contract was almost up anyway.

Now I'm trying to score an iPhoneSE 64GB, but I hear they don't make them anymore. Hopefully I can order one somewhere.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Now I'm trying to score an iPhoneSE 64GB, but I hear they don't make them anymore. Hopefully I can order one somewhere.

Yes that seems to be the case. I just took a look on eBay-Germany. If you REALLY want an iPhone SE 64gig...there seems to be a bunch to choose from there (if that works for you).:)

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Because I know basically iPhone do not create any problem after fall in the water.

You've got to be kidding! No problem after your iPhone falls in the water? Try it with yours to see what happens. ;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.