Can an iphone user see where I am in the world?

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I am from the U.S. and will be travelling to the U.K. in 2 weeks for work. My mom has an anxiety disorder, so her therapist recommended that I not tell her to prevent potential panic attacks. We communicate via text, phone calls and whatsapp. A couple questions for you folks:

1. If she were to call me, or I were to call her using my regular AT&T iphone while I were in the U.K. would there be any indication that I was out of the U.S.?

2. Would there be any indication on whatsapp that I am out of the country?

3. Is there anything on my iphone features that may give it away?

Thanks everyone for your time..this is a sensitive situation, but in the end, for her mental health (she has severe panic attacks when things are outside of routine) this is the only way to go.

Thanks a million.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Welcome to Mac-Forums..

1) Your phone number will show up like it always does with no indication of where you are calling from
2) WhatsApp doesn't indicate location in the messages, so you are safe there
3) Apps such as Facebook and other social networks like to tag your location (or restaurant), so if you are posting on your FB or other social account and your mom is watching, you might want to ensure that you don't tag your location.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
M

MacInWin

Also, remember that the UK is five hours ahead of the eastern seaboard of the US, 8 hours ahead of the West Coast. That means your mom may be calling you in the middle of the night, thinking it's just the evening where she is. Just be prepared for that.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Also, remember that the UK is five hours ahead of the eastern seaboard of the US, 8 hours ahead of the West Coast. That means your mom may be calling you in the middle of the night, thinking it's just the evening where she is. Just be prepared for that.

Very good point, Jake.

I was a thinking up a reply but you guys got there before me and I have to say that your time difference remark didn't occur to me and is very relevant.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
It's possible she may hear a different dial tone if she phones you from the US.

If you feel she will be distressed because last week's Manchester bomb, the security threat countrywide has dropped back to 'severe' from 'critical'. Also Ariana Grande is returning to do a benefit concert in the city on Sunday, June 4, which would not be allowed if there were a significant risk.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.