Flashing 'World Icon'???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" iBook G4, 1.33ghz 1gb RAM 40 GB HD. iPod 20gb 4Gen
I turned on my iBook and all that came on was a flashing world icon. What does that mean??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
Its trying to boot from a network nothing realy to worry about

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok thanks a lot. I was worried there for a second. My powerpoint, due today was on there. I made sure to back that up once it started back up again :) Again, thanks!

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
After your system is up and running. Bring up the System Preferences window (under the Apple menu). Click on Startup Disk.Then click on your Mac OS X folder. You can quit System Preferences now. This ensures that your system will boot from your OS X system disk and not the network.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks. That is the first time that has ever happened to me. I doubt I ever changed the setting hmm.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
yea dont worry about it my powerbook has done it before as well when ive changed nothing

Reaction score
After your system is up and running. Bring up the System Preferences window (under the Apple menu). Click on Startup Disk.Then click on your Mac OS X folder. You can quit System Preferences now. This ensures that your system will boot from your OS X system disk and not the network.

Can someone help me, I was asked to fix an imac, it would not work at all, I would reckon I was good with pc's but Mac is a mystery.. I have mac working, I have installed os9 and it work fine, problem is it takes 5 minutes to boot, I upgraded firmware and now I get the world for 5 mins before it loads, on reading forum I guess its looking for a network first, the above quote suggests where i can find settings but I can not find system pref window under the apple at the top left, could it be called something else ? or how else can I get into "click on start up" or can anyone tell me another way of stopping the mac looking for a network.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.