iPhone Contacts

Reaction score
Hi, can anyone tell me how to save my contacts in my old phone so that I can import into my new phone without having to manually input one by one again? Thanks!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Is the old phone an iPhone? If so plug the phone into iTunes and let it perform a backup. That should get the contacts saved and then you can load the backup onto your phone. The alternative is to make sure that the contacts are synched with your Mac and let the Mac pass them to the iPhone. Here are some of Apple's suggestions.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
In addition to what Slydude advised you, make sure you use the same Apple ID and password for your new phone as the old one and that you sync with iCloud. You can backup your old phone as Slydude stated but in addition you should also backup to iCloud.

OP
P
Reaction score
My old phone is also iPhone. To backup to iTunes or Mac, do I have the option to just backup and restore the phone contacts but not other stuff such as songs and photos? Also, from my new phone, where can I find the import function under Settings?

OP
P
Reaction score
Also, my old phone is 4S and the new one is 6S. Where can I find the Backup to iTunes or Mac please? Similarly, where can I find the Restore to Phone under my new phone setting please?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OP
P
Reaction score
OK, I will take a look! By the way, how is it different if I want to transfer the info to a non-iPhone?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've used Android File Transfer to pull files off of Android phones but ti looks like it will also move files to Android devices. It's a pretty straightforward program to use.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
OK, I will take a look! By the way, how is it different if I want to transfer the info to a non-iPhone?

If you look at the link Admin chscag provided in post #6, very near the top, it invites to click on a link if you have an Android phone.

So instructions for iPhone and Android are on chscag's link.

Ian

EDIT: Sorry Sly; just realised your link and chscag's are the same so recognition should be to both of you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
If you sync your contacts with iCloud they will automatically appear on the new phone as soon as you activate your Apple ID on it. If you don't already, enable it now.
Screen Shot 2017-05-30 at 09.58.26.png

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry Sly; just realised your link and chscag's are the same so recognition should be to both of you.

That's OK Ian, we've run out of hat sizes for him anyway. ;P

Reaction score
there are a lot of third-party apps that can do this for free. I used this one to transfer contacts - not the most convenient tool as I had to sync them with my Mac first and then sync from Mac to the new phone, but it was the first one I Googled and it was free.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would suggest set up as new iPhone or restore from last backup, if it is over 1 year ago.
I'm a bit confused by this statement. It seems like you are suggesting restoring the phone from a one year old backup.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.