• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Random Pictures.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 13 v11.1, i5 2.4 GHz, 256 GBs SSD, 8 GBs DDRs
Some of my desktop backgrounds, in size 3,840x1,200 on the PC:

boats.jpg

park.jpg

roses.jpg

beach.jpg

This is on my MBP...

Waves.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
They are highly modified aircraft with turbo prop engines. We have 2 based at Carcassonne and they always go out together. I call them 'les jumeau, the twins. I think they go together for the same reason that fighter pilots do, one ca read and one can write? These are the ones. They gave it a different name, but that's a Tracker airframe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conair_Firecat

On the theme of water bombers for a moment, have a gander at this article

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...refill-fight-against-French-forest-fires.html

There's also Viking Air, a local aircraft company just north of us that fitted turbo engines to them and many other types of aircraft (Turbo Beavers and Otters etc.)

Those two Trackers probably take turns acting as "Spotter" that help the eyes of the attacking pilot pinpoint their drops.

Man. I've never any plane come in so low!!! Wow, that's some flying with those planes.

PS: The local COULSON FLYING TANKERS group who flew the huge Martin Mars water bombers did a lot of conversions on various planes as well.
They were really impressive to watch and were so big, they didn't even seem to be flying until they were doing a drop or water pickup.
http://www.martinmars.com

They are currently converting several B-737s for fire fighting/water bomber service:
http://www.timescolonist.com/busine...ting-six-planes-into-water-bombers-1.20212148

They should be an impressive site doing a big water drop!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
I have never seen a Mars in the flesh, so to speak, but they are an impressive aircraft. I just love aircraft, not a geek, but just love them. I think that the Canidaire driver in the article would have wet himself if he realised just how close he was to that wall!!! I would think that his boss probably said 'golly gosh' several times if he saw the photos? :Not-Amused::Not-Amused:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tsuYUeV7_k

If the powers to be think fit then please move this to a seperate thread?

The French latched onto fire bombers very early, in the 50s, and they used Catalina PBYs. A lot of doubt then but they were proved correct. The Cat is an aircraft that I want to scratch build as an RC glider. It is made for it and it looks spectacular as a PSS model (PSS = Power Slope Soarer) I have the plans and when we get back to the U.K. I hope to build one? I have the plans.

Back to our water jobs. I think that this has to be the biggest yet? An elderly 747, it's got proper instruments, the type I used to work on/with as an aircraft electricition in the R.A.F. on the big transports of the 60s/70s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZHk6uZV7XM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think that the Canidaire driver in the article would have wet himself if he realised just how close he was to that wall!!! I would think that his boss probably said 'golly gosh' several times if he saw the photos?

I'm not too sure about that as many good Canadian pilots have learned to fly as "bush pilots" and do things that ordinary pilots wouldn't but just get the job done the best and fastest way possible.

They seem to have an adage like "why miss by a foot when an inch will do??" But those shots show them pushing it a bit too close I'd say. ;D

Yes, those 747 water bombers are impressive and it's nice to see they're back up flying and in business.

PS: I wouldn't think a model PBY would make the best RC glider.
Maybe ElectriFlyed would be a better choice???:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldO9LAb1ezE&ab_channel=KEEPITRCByHobbico

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
I have a couple of ARTF models, but I prefer to build my own. That's a nice Cat, but I love the view from the hills I fly from and with my neck it's difficult to always look up ;D

My avitar is my Fougar Magistair, an old French basic jet trainer. About 6' wingspan, GRP fuzalarge, foam wings and tail and a very good glider

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Still with aircraft, but looking out this time. This is a shot I took coming into Carcassonne just before we moved over here. It's the ancient Cité of Carcassonne. The aircraft just turns finals to Statboard, right, and everyone looks out of the Starboard windows. The Cité just sits there out of the Port windows! And what a sight.

The 737 is the largest aircraft is the largest that can land at Salvasa, Carcassonne and if the wind is light it need almost all of the runway. This is how much is left and I have seen less!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The 737 is the largest aircraft is the largest that can land at Salvasa, Carcassonne and if the wind is light it need almost all of the runway. This is how much is left and I have seen less!

Hmmm…??? It seems to me that jet engine's cowling seems to be aligned the wrong way to be landing or taking off using that runway. :Smirk:

BTW: That an impressive shot of the ancient Cité of Carcassonne. Double walled yet, and triple in places it looks like. Clever.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
work - mac pro (late 2013), 32gb RAM 3.2 Ghz 6core; home - mac book pro
you wanted random... G20P9990lo.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmmm…??? It seems to me that jet engine's cowling seems to be aligned the wrong way to be landing or taking off using that runway. :Smirk:

BTW: That an impressive shot of the ancient Cité of Carcassonne. Double walled yet, and triple in places it looks like. Clever.
- Patrick
======

It was facing that way because of a slight cross wind:eek::eek: and a short landing :Oops:

The Cité has a double wall and the outer is totally exposed to the inner, so if anyone did manage to take the outer it became a BIG killing ground. Even the backs of the towers are open. It's about 2 kM around the outer and there's 52 towers in all, inner and outer!! The series of towers on the right hand side are they of the Chateau for the boss man. and the Basilica St Nazaire is in the very top right hand. Just beyond that there is a fantastic 5000 seat open air theatre and from about now till the end og August there are some very big names appear there from Elton John to The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra with even some from your side of the pond :Cool::Cool: About 850 people actually live in the Cité so it really is a living place.

OP
Y
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5 in Sierra 10.12.3
Crater Lake, Oregon.

CIMG1135.jpg

CIMG1140.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That obvious. It's a pimple on a dimple on a fleas left testament;P

This was a cirl bunting sat on my arm, recovering from a hit on our lounge window

and after a few minutes it wandered up my arm and had another rest

That was a wonderful experience for me. A shame that it happened the way it did though, but the little perisher flew off after a 20 minute rest and holefully OK.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
work - mac pro (late 2013), 32gb RAM 3.2 Ghz 6core; home - mac book pro
Hmmm…??? A CloseUp macro shot of something but I'm afraid I'm out of guesses at the moment.

- Patrick

======

patrick - its a textured foam sheet. macro is a favourite photography when i'm not working

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That looks like a nice place for a cool dip!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
World Heritage site - Salamanca, Spain
IMG_1448.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This was taken by me at the Fairford Intrenational Air Tattoo a good number ofyears back with my Nicon SLR using Kodac 400 ASA film. It's untouched apart from some cropping. I offered it to The Red Arrows but ther weren't interested.

Kissing cousins by John, on Flickr

I still have the negative too !

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.