App Store no longer shows progress bar for updates.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I used to think Time Machine was a little light on for progress information not displaying a progress bar and the like when it appeared to be doing nothing but now the App Store as well? Today I downloaded a few updates and for the second time noted that there were no progress bars or estimated time to completion.
Is it just me or is this a change?

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Works OK here. The progress bar appears at the bottom of the Download folder in the Dock. How about yours? Nothing at all?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Today I downloaded a few updates and for the second time noted that there were no progress bars or estimated time to completion.

I got exactly the same thing a week or so ago when I was downloading the various suggested updates when booted and running Sierra.

The ONLY way I could get any indication as to what was going on was to click the "Purchases" tab which then showed the progress bar(s) and progress. Switching back to the "Updates" window showed absolutely nothing.

I just cursed a bit and accepted it as just another lost or removed macOS Sierra "feature".

- Patrick
======

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
It sort of aligns itself with my previous views about software developers blithely ignoring the fact that not everybody has ultra fast broadband or continuous connections. People in remote and regional areas really need this feedback, especially for portable devices. If Apple had their way we would have all the Automatic Update boxes ticked, background updating, etc and we would always be up to date without even being aware of it but this is not practical for many users.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Same thing here .... but not with all updates.
Just updated iMovie and there was no progress bar.
I could swear there was one when I last updated pages/number/keynote.

Could it depend on the application you are updating ?

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Works OK here. The progress bar appears at the bottom of the Download folder in the Dock.

And who would be expiating to see any progress bar there when they have an active window open and are expecting something that makes sense like the old Mac GUI Interface rules.

Oh right, I forgot that book seems to be collecting dust on the old Apple developers shelf. :[

PS: chscag, is that the only place you see any progress bar??

- Patrick
======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
is that the only place you see any progress bar??

Unless it's an update to OS X the progress bar appears under the icon for "Applications" on the right side of the Dock. I first stated downloads folder but I was mistaken as to which folder it appeared under.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here's a recent article that explains things a bit better:

Looking again at Apple’s release notes – which record just six improvements other than security fixes, in an update which for most was over 1 GB in size – I was trying to summarise Apple’s original statement that 10.12.5
Enhances compatibility of the Mac App Store with future software updates.

I’m still reeling at the almost complete lack of meaning in that line. But I can now announce one thing which it does apparently: Apple has removed progress indicators when downloading and installing App Store updates.

And one comment I sure agree with which I also commented on previously:
The App Store app has not been a particularly good example of human interface design
(Sound familiar…???)

https://eclecticlight.co/2017/05/18/fetch-a-translator-apple-says-it-has-fixed-the-app-store-app/

It seems that some of us are not alone with the problem, or lack of an old useful feature…

- Patrick
======

Last edited:
Reaction score
I used to think Time Machine was a little light on for progress information not displaying a progress bar and the like when it appeared to be doing nothing but now the App Store as well? Today I downloaded a few updates and for the second time noted that there were no progress bars or estimated time to completion.
Is it just me or is this a change?

Just scroll down the page and see the downloading task its changes it's pattern.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.