Viewing .htaccess files on the Mac?

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am new to Mac's this year, and I do a lot of web design. I have yet to figure out how to make .htaccess files viewable under finder and in my FTP program "Transmit". I can create them, but then they vanish.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
Here is an easy way to view hidden files.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
I don't like having my hidden files shown, due to the number of them actually in each directory :) So here is what I do for my web development stuff:

In Transmit, make sure View > Show Invisible Files is turned on. On some servers this will not make a difference, but on most of them.. it will make a difference

Now in my file system, I started making a symbolic link to my .htaccess file so that I can view what is in there and edit at will.. then I just open it up and copy the content in there when I upload everything to an external server.

To make a symbolic link, you'll need to open up your Terminal program and make a link by doing this:

ln -s sourcefile targetfile

for example

ln -s ~/Sites/mysite.com/.htaccess ~/Sites/mysite.com/~htaccess

So then I would just modify the files contents by editing the ~htaccess file that will show up in your directory structure

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.