"New network interface detected" error message when connecting iPhone 7 to iMac

Reaction score
Hi
I saw on a previous thread that a user fixed this issue by doing a hard reset of their iPhone but that has not worked for me unfortunately. Since doing a recent upgrade to iOS i now get this error message "new network interface detected" every time i connect my iphone to the Mac. When I go to Settings there doesn't appear to be anything I can change to stop it. Anybody else experienced this please?

iPhone 7 iOS 10.3.2
iMac Sierra 10.12.5

Thanks
Rich

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

On your iPhone 7, go to Settings, Cellular, and make sure you do not have "hotspot" selected. If that's selected it will definitely show up as a new network interface when you attach the phone to your Mac.

OP
R
Reaction score
Welcome to our forums.

On your iPhone 7, go to Settings, Cellular, and make sure you do not have "hotspot" selected. If that's selected it will definitely show up as a new network interface when you attach the phone to your Mac.

Thanks for the help.
Nope, no hotspot showing.....
Any other suggestions?

M

MacInWin

Turn hotspot ON, the leave settings. Now go back to settings, turn hotspot OFF. Sometimes it just needs toggling to get it sorted.

OP
R
Reaction score
Turn hotspot ON, the leave settings. Now go back to settings, turn hotspot OFF. Sometimes it just needs toggling to get it sorted.

can't do that unfortunately as my unlimited plan won't allow me to run the phone as a hotspot!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your problem is really strange. I can get the same message as you're getting but only when I turn on the "hotspot" option for my iPhone 7+. My carrier is T-Mobile which does allow tethering or hotspot for my plan. I don't know what else could be generating that message. Try toggling Blue Tooth on and off to see if that makes a difference. It shoudn't but you never know?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA i7, 8GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, High Sierra; iPad 3rd Gen, 32 GB, iOS 9; iPhone 5E, 64 GB, iOS 11
I had the same problem. But there is a work around. Next time you see the pop up, go to Network (or if you go directly, System Preferences --> Network). Unlock the prefrences. If you have iPhone listed as one of the items on the left side (if not click on the + and go though the process to add it - sorry I didn't know if it would work so I didn't write down/screen shot it), click on the gear select "Make Service Inactive" and try both settings. The advice (in Apple forums) seems to be to select Make Service Inactive, but but that didn't work for me (If this works for you, then your done). Then what you do is put it as the first connection, using gear --> Set Service Order and then move it to the top. It change from "not connected" to "self assigned IP". Well, this worked for me, because I guess it is "configured". But because I have an MacBook Air, there is no Ethernet port, I have a USB 3 USB to RJ-45 adapter (the good thing is that it also works on other computers that only have USB 3 (I don't know what to do if you only have USB C), so, completely disabling the USB for network connections was not an option for me. The "hotspot" on or off seems odd because that would mean that you connect via WiFi to the phone. Ok, I don't have an iPhone 7, I have an iPhone SE but I was getting that dialog box to either click OK or setup Network. Let me know if this works for anyone.

BTW, this is a work around, not a fix. In the Apple forums, people have already reported the problem to Apple, now it's up to Apple to fix. But the work around seems to work, so, I believe that will be low on Apple's to-do list.

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.