Macbook pro white screen flashing folder with question mark

Reaction score
When booting the Mac I get a white screen with a flashing folder. Disk utility doesn't show the boot disk, just a recovery disk.

Stuff I've done so far:
1. Checked many references to this issue and followed those steps. None of the suggestions had any affect.
2. Installed a spare HD, installed OSX from the internet and then mounted the old HD connected via USB and copied all the data off the drive. No issues copying files or browsing the disk.
3. Booted to recovery mode with the old HD still connected via USB. Ran all the disk utility checks, everything came back clean.
4. Put the drive back into the laptop and booted to the same white screen with the flashing folder icon.

Not sure what the flashing folder means as the disk and file system come back healthy.

Any ideas? Is it possible to fix this or should I just format and re-install. Would prefer to fix if possible as re-install will be time consuming.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

If the hard drive checks out to be good, then the problem is likely the SATA cable which connects the hard drive to the logic board. If you do decide to change out the SATA cable, it's a good idea to change out the hard drive at the same time. Replace it with a SSD.

And when you post to our forums, it would help us to help you if you told us about your hardware and which version of OS X you're running.

Go to www.ifixit.com for instructions on how to change the SATA cable. I believe they also sell the cable. Or you can get the cable from www.macsales.com.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Macbook pro white screen flashing folder with question mark

It means the selected "Startup Disk" does not have a valid "blessed" bootable OS volume available.

Try holding the option key down when cold booting and it may show a valid boot volume you could try selecting to use.

Patrick
=====

M

MacInWin

And if the drive is checked as OK by Disk Utility, then what may be missing is either the "bless" or the OS itself. You'll need to reinstall, most likely.

Reaction score
I know it sounds weird, but just like Chscag mentioned, I had the same issue and it was the SATA cable. I have no idea how the cable can be good one day and not the next, but I replaced mine and everything was running like new.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I did this a few years ago on a 2008 MacBook Pro. When I replaced the drive it either didn't work or worked intermittently. Meanning to replace the cable I ordered a replacement. When it arrived I realized this was the wrong cable. Since I had the old cable I reconnected it and it has worked ever since. Apparently in the process of making the connection the first time I had dislodged the cable from the logic board just enough to prevent a good connection. I free cable is a good idea but this may be as simple as a loose connection.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.