Photos joined together when shared from photos.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OS X 10.12.4
Ever since an update some time ago when I try to share photos from mac photos to an email they are all joined together. I've tried and tried to figure out how to separate them to arrange them with captions in the order desired. I have a mac updated to OS sierra 10.12.4. I have tried suggestions from google but none have worked. Never had this problem with iphoto. I hope someone has a solution to this frustrating problem.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
A warm welcome to Mac-Forums.

I too have encountered this difficulty. It's not that sharing a bunch of pictures joins them together exactly; it's that once in email, you can't delete an individual picture. And, you are quite correct, annotating each one doesn't work for me either.

I suggest that what you do is select all the pictures you want to send, then File > Export > choose options to suit you > destination, say, Desktop.

Whilst on the Desktop, you can give each picture a name or caption. (You do this in the same way as you would change the name from DCN.1122 to Holiday photos from Barcelona).

Then the options are:

Put them all in a Folder and attach to an email - or - attach each picture to email individually and add a caption or comment to each one.

Please post back because we, here on the Forums, want to sure that whatever we suggest works for you.

Ian

M

MacInWin

Just out of curiosity, have you tried right clicking on one of the photos and then choose "View as icon." If that works and you get a set of icons instead of the images, you can then use the <> keys to navigate to be between the images and add as many "return" key presses as you need to make room for the caption. I tried this trick with a stream from Photos, and it works for me.

To get the images in Mail, I opened Photos, opened an album, selected the photos, then right clicked on them to get to Share and selected Mail. A new mail message opened with the three images, which I then right-clicked, View as icon and then added returns to add lines between them.

Note, however, that what the mail recipient sees is entirely defined by how the recipient has their email application set up. You cannot guarantee that the captions are actually in the same location as when you created the email message. If you want to force that with a high degree of probability that what you send is what they get, you can export them, then insert them in a document (Word or Pages or any other processor that supports images), then add captions and finally when you print, choose PDF and save the print file as a PDF that you can then email. Not easy, but the only way to guarantee (sort of) that what you sent is what is received.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi Jake.

Your tip on "View as Icon" was new to me in this context and I'll give that a try. I'm most grateful as will be the OP.

The rather tedious and roundabout way I suggested works, but your suggestion looks a lot slicker.

Ian

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OS X 10.12.4
Sorry I didn't get back to you both sooner. Using some of your suggestions I have been able to separate the photos by using the "view as icon" option. But I am still having a problem arranging them as I would like to and adding descriptions. I wont go through all the steps at this time but it is pretty convoluted compared to the old way in iphoto which was just a couple of clicks and done. It seems that so often that upgrades make things more complex instead of more convenient. Thanks again for your help. I will keep trying to solve this problem. I think I'm getting closer to figuring it out. It shouldn't be this difficult.

M

MacInWin

Just remember that what you SEND is not necessarily what is RECEIVED. How the incoming mail is formatted and displayed is up to the receiver's email setup. So don't spend a lot of time on fancy formatting, it'll probably be lost anyway. That's how email works.

Reaction score
Sorry I didn't get back to you both sooner. Using some of your suggestions I have been able to separate the photos by using the "view as icon" option. But I am still having a problem arranging them as I would like to and adding descriptions. I wont go through all the steps at this time but it is pretty convoluted compared to the old way in iphoto which was just a couple of clicks and done. It seems that so often that upgrades make things more complex instead of more convenient. Thanks again for your help. I will keep trying to solve this problem. I think I'm getting closer to figuring it out. It shouldn't be this difficult.
I also searched for a solution to this problem. In the end, I copied all the images to an external HDD and with the help of another computer that was with Windows OS, everything was fine. And with Mac just removed duplicates. Why do they complicate everything with these updates?...

Reaction score
When you want to mail pictures from Photos it is a lot like when you copy and paste a word, all the letters are next to each other in the word. If you want to put a space between the letters you click between the letters, the same with the photos in Mail. The easiest way is to click on a picture then tap the Right arrow, this moves the cursor just past that picture, then hit Return as many times as you need to add your text.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.