Distributed computing

Reaction score
I have a couple of 2012 minis, i7-quads that sit idle most of the time so i signed up for Boinc, rosetta@home to do some protein sequencing in my spare time. I noticed they both ran at 95-97% CPU usage most all of the time, the fans run constantly and they never run when i'm driving.

My question is, being that these are 5 yrs old and are basically mobile processors, will this kind of use be detrimental?

Thanks for any information!
Mike:[

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
That protein sequencing is most likely designed to take advantage of all CPU power available to it. Thus when you log into that site...it's using as much CPU power it can...thus making the Mac-Mini run hotter then when you use it. More than likely when you use the Mac-Mini's you're not using more than 10-15% of CPU resources.

Is this detrimental? Well the CPU's are running hotter than normal...and the fan's are maxed out. This is certainly more stress than the Mac-Mini see's when you use it. But how much will it shorten the life of the Mini is hard to determine.

For what it's worth...I do online gaming on my two MBP's...and they also run very hot & the fan's are close to maxed out. It is what it is.;)

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks, yeah you set an upper limit to what it can access and maybe that is the answer. I think that if i leave it on when sleeping or at work (or both at the same time) i can make a fair contribution. I just don't want to shoot myself in the foot and have them die early.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you can adjust things. If you're concerned about detrimental effects. Maybe throttle things back a bit...to a point where the CPU's aren't as hot & the fan's as loud/high rpm. Some folks have their computers on all the time (24-7-365). So constant on isn't so much an issue. But long term high temps & high fan rpm's night after night could add up. Especially the fans since that's a mechanical part that will definitely wear faster.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't think so. There are various 3rd party apps for temperature monitoring. What you could do is reduce the amount of resources this protein sequencing app has access to...and listen to the fan rpm's. Maybe 5%-10% at a time. As the fan rpm reduces...then the Mac-Mini is running cooler. Or use a temp. monitoring app.

Of course then you may ask...what's a good temp that's not detrimental to the long term health of the computer? And my answer would be...who know's (exactly).:)

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
I really like MacsFanControl for temp monitoring and fan control, if needed.
https://www.crystalidea.com/macs-fan-control

(I've been using this ever since I messed up my cousin's mini when installing a bigger HD - broke a temp sensor connector. It gives you complete fan control.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.