iMac will not start after electric tripped out.

Reaction score
As subject,house electrics tripped out and was reset at once.
All ellectrics came back on but just discovered will not on.
It was in sleep mode.
Can anyone help please.?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
So that I understand things, may I recap?

You have an iMac in sleep mode. Sudden loss of power to house, quickly restored. All else okay, but iMac won't start?

Starting with the simple: have you checked the fuse on the electric plug that goes into the wall socket? It could have blown, perhaps when the power was suddenly restored.

Or is your electric plug connected via an extension hub, and does that have a fuse?

In my, thankfully, limited experience of power loss, it is most unusual for the iMac not to restart. Loss of data or its corruption can occur, but even that is unusual when in sleep mode.

Please post back.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I have tried the above but no luck.Still not booting up.

OK, so your power socket is working and no fuses/circuit breakers have been tripped - correct? If so, try holding down the power button for at least 10 secs - if not successful, then try a SMC Reset - let us know if any of these maneuvers help. If not, then you likely need to take the computer into a reliable repair shop.

P.S. - do you have a power strip and was that checked and/or removed from the power chain? Once you are back to normal, I urge you to purchase a UPS (uninterruptable power supply) - I use APC products but there are other manufacturers and many are not expensive at all. Good luck - Dave :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
RadDave made the two suggestions I would have made. If neither of those two suggestion work...I'm fearful that your iMac may have been damaged by an electrical spike/surge.

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
Have now tried raddaves suggestions to no avail.
I have tested the extension lead and it is fine.I have changed the fuse in the imac lead but cannot test it as ihave no other unit to test it on and i do not have another lead.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have tested the extension lead and it is fine.I have changed the fuse in the imac lead but cannot test it as ihave no other unit to test it on and i do not have another lead.

Not exactly sure what you mean about "changing the fuse in the iMac lead". I'm guessing you're talking about the iMac's power cord...but I don't know what "fuse" you are referring to. I'm not familiar with an iMac's power cord having an inline fuse in it.

In any case...if you tried all suggestions...and electrical outlet that the iMac is plugged into works properly...then it would seem to be an internal iMac issue.

I'm sure your next question will be..."What do I do next?".

Two options to contemplate:

- Take it to a repair shop (or Apple) to be examined.
- Try to do troubleshooting & repair yourself.

The repair shop or Apple will be expensive...and doing it yourself could be frustrating (since it may be difficult to diagnose what exactly got damaged). AND...even doing the repair yourself may not be cheap.

If you decide to do this yourself...we need to know exactly what model iMac this is.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Just a last issue - make sure that the computer power cord is not plugged into a socket controlled by a wall switch which may be off and/or damaged, i.e. check the fuses to the room where the computer resides - if not useful and if you are getting no start-up sounds/lights/disk sounds, then a repair shop may be your next stop - hopefully, just the power supply might need replacement but other diagnostics should be done - good luck. Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

There is a fuse in the wall plug at the end of the lead.

OK - checking your profile, you are located in the UK - Apple power cords there (or depending on the 'age' of your computer) seem to have fuses (maybe like pic below?) - not sure if that is routine? But I assume the replacement fuse is a new one (these can be evaluated w/ a continuity tester) - guess that you need to bring the machine and the power cord in to an Apple store or authorized repair shop for evaluation. Dave :)
50pcs-font-b-UK-b-font-Plug-AC-font-b-Power-b-font-font-b-Cord.jpg

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
That's it, Dave. All our electrical appliances have a fuse in the plug, as we call it, that fits into the wall socket. Legal requirement. Three pin, as you show. Everything is 3-pin (except electric shavers and other rarities).

Fuse very easily replaced. No special tools necessary. As in your second pic.

Ian

OP
C
Reaction score
Now managed to check the lead and it works fine.
That i think just leaves the imac itself.
My nearest Apple store is an hour away.
Have no idea how they work,do i need to make an appointment or just turn up with machine?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There is a fuse in the wall plug at the end of the lead.

Good deal totally understand + the additonal info RadDave and IWT added.

If you've changed the fuse in the power cord/lead (and it was a new/good fuse)...and the iMac still isn't working. Still may indicate that something may have gotten damaged inside the iMac. Would have been great if that fuse taken the damage & not the iMac.

One other thing to try (long shot)...and since you don't have a 2nd lead for the iMac (not many folks would) You could take a volt/ohm meter & test the resistance in the iMac's lead (there should be little or no resistance). If you get "infinity" (and the fuse is good)...then the iMac's lead is damaged.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Now managed to check the lead and it works fine.

Guess what I just posted is not necessary.:( lol

That i think just leaves the imac itself.
My nearest Apple store is an hour away.
Have no idea how they work,do i need to make an appointment or just turn up with machine?

Regarding the Apple Store. I've done both methods. And maybe things work differently in the UK. But since you will be traveling an hour to get there + carrying a big iMac. Probably best to make an appointment with the "Genius Bar". You do this at the Apple webpage.

Let us know what model iMac this is. If it's too old...Apple may not even look at it (vintage/obsolete). And if it's "old"...it's value may be too low to be worthwhile fixing (assuming something inside has failed).

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
I cannot get at the serial number at the moment but it us a late 2010 model with the latest o.s. and as far as i am concerned in fantastic condition.I have only had it a couple of months.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Great advice from Nick. My guess is that the power supply has failed inside your iMac and as Nick stated, if it's an older iMac Apple may refuse to work on it. However, that's the general rule for Apple support here in the US and may be different in the UK.

Edit: I see you stated it's a 2010 model which might still be supported.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
...and as far as i am concerned in fantastic condition.I have only had it a couple of months.

It's still an almost 7 year old computer. Which in "computer years" is over-the-hill.;) Not saying it's not still a good computer capable of many things...but it is older.

Here's Apple's definition of "Vintage" and "Obsolete":

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201624

As you can see..."Vintage" refers to computer models between 5-7 years old (not manufactured for between 5 & 7 years). Depending on your iMac's exact model...Apple may consider it "vintage" and not even look at it.

You say that you've only owned this iMac for a couple months. Where did you get it from (another user, a 2nd hand reseller, etc.)? Did you get any sort of warranty with it (30, 60, or 90 days)? Since you have not owned it since new...you most likely do not know the exact history of this computer...thus who know's if there was a pre-existing issue.

Chances are (as mentioned earlier in the thread)...the power supply has failed/died. This is not an extremely expensive part or hard part to replace. But they can cost $100-$150 here in the US (depending on the model). It's possible that the original power supply was close to failing (weak)...and now it has taken its last breath. If it were me...the power supply would be the first thing I would look into.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.