Macbook Pro Crahses using Imovie and when I unplug it for a few minutes

Reaction score
Hi. I have a 2011 MBP 17' 2.3ghz 16gb ram 128ssd running Sierra. Recently the thing just shuts off after unplugging the adapter for a minute or so. Battery cycle count 333 condition normal. Mainly keep it plugged in all the time so I know that could cause problems. Checked battery cable and it's good. I think it was around the same time that I installed the Grambler app and I movie that I started having problems. It crashes sometimes when I use either of those especially when I am saving or uploading a big file which makes me think its overloading the cpu or something. Is there a way to upload Console info and have someone take a peak at what might be causing it? If so how and or what info should I post? (I'm new to using Console) BTW I just did a clean install of Sierra today and the problem still exists. Thanks for any help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Try shutting down and then do a cold boot but try using Safe Boot Mode and see if the problem exists.

Safe Boot Mode = press and hold the shift key at boot time but only when you hear the startup chime. Then login etc…

OP
C
Reaction score
Ok I just tried it it safe mode and this time I tried opening Imovie and the program crashes within seconds. When I unplug the adapter my computer shuts off immediately. What happens anytime it shuts off is it starts up by itself for about a second or 2 then shuts off then back on. The second time it comes on it is a normal startup. Screen Shot 2017-05-16 at 10.52.58 AM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well all I can say is that's a bit bizarre as an understatement. But at least it seems to startup.

OP
C
Reaction score
SOLVED!! So I crossed my fingers and hoped a new battery would solve it and it has. At least think it was that. I ended up putting a bigger ssd in when I was replacing the battery so I guess it could have been a faulty ssd too but I'm pretty sure it was the battery. I had formatted my ssd and did a clean install before I replaced it with a new ssd and it still had the issue so I assume it wasn't software related.
So a battery can say Normal with a 333 cycle count and still be bad. 9 cycle counts on the new one and no issues.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks for posting back and letting us know. Let's keep our fingers crossed that the new battery did indeed solve the problem. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for posting back and letting us know. Let's keep our fingers crossed that the new battery did indeed solve the problem. :)

+1!!

But I'd be inclined to put my betting money on the SSD and software reinstall as the cause and solution. :Blushing:

- Patrick
======

M

MacInWin

You said
Mainly keep it plugged in all the time so I know that could cause problems.
which makes me think you are treating the battery as if it were the older chemistry. The battery in the MBP is LiIon and does not need to be fully discharged like the old NiCad and NiMH batteries. In fact, it prefers to be kept in the 40%-80% range at a minimum. I run my MBP on mains power most of the time, have only 11 cycles in the last year total. To have used 9 in less than a month is pretty hard usage. If you need to, use the battery, but if you can avoid it and use mains power, your battery will appreciate that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.