Replaced Video Cards not working

Reaction score
Hello I'm having a problem with my video card. I have a Powermac G5 2.0 GHz, my original video card went out and I got a replacement but nothing happens. I have tried 2 replacements (ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB DDR AGP Video Graphics Card DVI VGA) and still no success hope someone might give me some help.

Thank you,
Stephen

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Were these original Apple video cards meant to be used in a Mac...or much less expensive Windows systems versions? In some cases...the same video card was made for both Mac's and Windows computers. But each card type is "programmed" for the type of computer it will be installed in. This is why a video card made/programmed to be used in a Windows computer may cost $20 bucks...and the same model video card programmed/used in a Mac may cost $100 or more (supply & demand).

And just to be thorough. We really don't know why the old video card failed. It could have been the video card itself...or it could be the expansion slot has a problem (and why the replacement card is not working).

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thanks Nick, if it is the expansion slot what can be done?

Not really anything practical (the solution would be a replacement logic board).

The way to test for this is:

- Take your current (non-working video card)...and put it into another working Powermac G5 and see if it works. Then you know if the video card is the problem or not.
- Or...get a known working video card & install it in your PM G5...and see if it works. If not...then it's got to be a bad slot.

You didn't say if the new card you got was a true Apple card or not. If not...that could be the issue as well.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Further, ovr the three years PowerMac G5's were on the market, there were four different models of the 2.0GHz. And as you can guess, different models require different cards. The cards you mentioned in post 1 will be fine subject to your G5 beingan early 2004 model, the only model that can use the card according to Mactracker.

Always helps if you supply full model details.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.