Reaction score
This happens to me from time to time, like today too, but I realized that it is always related to the usual use of Time Machine, when it makes a long backup. I use an external Western Digital disk attched to the Airport Extreme. Does anyone have any idea why this is happening?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
We have no idea because that particular message could be the result of many different things happening. Can you give us the complete error message you received? Also, was it a kernel panic message (it shuts down and displays the notice in different languages)?

OP
C
Reaction score
We have no idea because that particular message could be the result of many different things happening. Can you give us the complete error message you received? Also, was it a kernel panic message (it shuts down and displays the notice in different languages)?

No kernel panic message, only as was mentioned before

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK, now give us the specs on your Mac: Year and model, and which version of OS X you're running.

From your first post, I gather you have your external WD hard drive attached to your Airport Extreme base station router and that's how you back up? Have you tried backing up directly attached to your Mac to see if the same thing happens?

The shutdown message since it's not a kernel panic, could be related to hardware (overheating or some other problem) or corrupted data flowing to the WD. Or it could be the WD drive itself.

OP
C
Reaction score
OK, now give us the specs on your Mac: Year and model, and which version of OS X you're running.

From your first post, I gather you have your external WD hard drive attached to your Airport Extreme base station router and that's how you back up? Have you tried backing up directly attached to your Mac to see if the same thing happens?

The shutdown message since it's not a kernel panic, could be related to hardware (overheating or some other problem) or corrupted data flowing to the WD. Or it could be the WD drive itself.

My computer is a Macbook Air 11 early 2015. Now with Sierra last version. The problem existed before with El Capitan.
Probe to connect the External Drive direct to the Mac and seems to work well

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
How is the WD powered? Mains or a bus port? If the latter are you going through the ejection process when your MBA is powered off or sleeps? Cutting off power prior to ejecting will cause corruption on the drive.

Does the WD appear in Disk Utility when it is up and running? If so select it, and do a Disk First Aid to check out the external drive.

OP
C
Reaction score
How is the WD powered? Mains or a bus port? If the latter are you going through the ejection process when your MBA is powered off or sleeps? Cutting off power prior to ejecting will cause corruption on the drive.

Does the WD appear in Disk Utility when it is up and running? If so select it, and do a Disk First Aid to check out the external drive.

The WD has its own power. The MBA is in sleep position at the end of the process, but the power is always connected, ie it is not necessary to disconnect it every time. I clarify that the WD is attached to the Airport by means of a Hub.
And to your other question, the WD attached to the Airport Extreme does not appear on the Disk Utility. Yesterday I tested with another external Driver also attached to the Airport and also happened the same when I leave it in situation of sleep during the night.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well keep doing that. For mine when the computer sleeps, eject the external. Not disconnect but eject.

OP
C
Reaction score
How can I eject the drive? it is attached to the router and I dont see it in the screen or any other place
Maybe I need to make a reset of the NVPRAM?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ejest is a means of making sure the program on the external is closed down. Right click on the icon of the external and one of the alternatives offered is 'Eject'. It closes the program/s but of course does not physically eject thedrive from the connection.

Another way is to drag the icon of the external drive to the Trash. That closes the program/s also. Not seeing nit on the screen, go to Finder > Preferences and make sure Hard Disks and Show External are selected.

OP
C
Reaction score
Ejest is a means of making sure the program on the external is closed down. Right click on the icon of the external and one of the alternatives offered is 'Eject'. It closes the program/s but of course does not physically eject thedrive from the connection.

Another way is to drag the icon of the external drive to the Trash. That closes the program/s also. Not seeing nit on the screen, go to Finder > Preferences and make sure Hard Disks and Show External are selected.

Thanks for your explanations, now I understand what you mean. While the system began to work without problems. The last day I did not have Kernel Panics nor crashing

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.