iPhone 5 - 10.3.1 update and Airplay music

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 15", Original iPad, iPad 6, iPhone 5
It's been a while since I played music from my iPhone to my Bose using Airplay.

The interface on Music on my iPhone is new with the newest iPhone update and different and I can't find the box to turn it from the iPhone to "Diane's Airplay". I've looked in Music and Settings under Music and the pull up on the iPhone. Wifi is ON on my iPhone. When I look at the pull up from the bottom of the phone I have Airplay Mirroring and the familiar icon but when I choose it the iPhone begins looking for my Apple TV. I don't have one.

The other choice is "Airdrop Receiving Off".

My iPad can still use Airplay to play music to my Bose and my MacBook Pro also works fine using Airplay.

Any suggestions? I may have missed something obvious. I really wish things didn't change when I wasn't looking!! Thanks so much.

Diane

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I just checked my iPhone 7+ under settings and Airplay Mirroring. The only option it gives me is it's looking for an Apple TV (which I do not have). My iOS version is 10.3.1. I should note that I do not have airplay speakers or other devices that support airplay.

Looking through the Apple Discussions and knowledge base doesn't seem to help as everything I read has to do with mirroring to an Apple TV.

Try rebooting your iPhone 5 to see if that works. I might add that your iPhone is getting a bit old and may not support everything that 10.3.1 offers.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for your help. Rebooted iPhone, no change. I know it's getting old, but it worked before.

I don't have airplay speakers, but an Apple Airport Express device plugged into my Bose stereo. I had a look at Airport Utility on my MacBookPro, but don't know what I might be looking for.

As I mentioned, I can still play music using Airplay from my original iPad (even older) and my Mac running Sierra 10.12.4

Do you have an Apple link where I can write in with my issue?

Thanks

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Kirk from Kirk's iTunes Forum had the solution and I'm copying it here in case anyone else needs it. Thanks again Kirk.

"When listening to music in the Music app, tap the play bar at the bottom to expand it; then tap the weird triangle with circles button. "

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.