MacBook Pro 450 or 460?

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I will purchase the new MacBook Pro 2016 with the 2.6 processor and 512 ssd. I don't *know if I should go for the 450 or the 460 though.*

I will video edit 4k daily on fcpx or almost daily and I will do wordpress and probably some graphic design in the immediate future.

Logically I should go for the 460.

But the question is if it overheates more than the 450 and if that affects the*

* battery life
* the fan noise*
* and if it throttles

Because if it affects the fan, the battery and it throttles then I would be better off with the 450.*

What does everyone think. What do the reports say and what are your personal experiences.

Thanks everyone.*

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

I don't where you got the notion that the HD 460 would heat up more than the HD 450? Did you read that somewhere or just assume it? Our advice is to buy whatever you can afford and that will do the job for you in whatever work you need it for. The machine is warranted for one year and you can extend that to three years purchasing Apple Care. (which we highly recommend you do)

As for whatever "reports" are out there, you can find them in any review of the 2016 MacBook Pro. Both Macworld and MacLife magazines have extended articles on the new MacBook Pros, both the Touchbar models and non Touchbar models.

Also, one of our moderators who is also a programmer and developer has one of the new MacBook Pro machines. Perhaps he can add his opinion to this thread.

OP
J
Reaction score
Welcome to our forums.

I don't where you got the notion that the HD 460 would heat up more than the HD 450? Did you read that somewhere or just assume it? Our advice is to buy whatever you can afford and that will do the job for you in whatever work you need it for. The machine is warranted for one year and you can extend that to three years purchasing Apple Care. (which we highly recommend you do)

As for whatever "reports" are out there, you can find them in any review of the 2016 MacBook Pro. Both Macworld and MacLife magazines have extended articles on the new MacBook Pros, both the Touchbar models and non Touchbar models.

Also, one of our moderators who is also a programmer and developer has one of the new MacBook Pro machines. Perhaps he can add his opinion to this thread.

No reports. Just assumptions before MacBook pros where released by various people. Been away for a while so want to know what the scoop is after all these months. Going to buy one and I don't want something it to overheat and throttle. Don't know if it does. Hence the question.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Various people? Take it with a grain of salt. Consider going for the best you can afford, and when it comes time to again move on the upgraded model will be wo0rth more on the second hand market.

And go with the Flash Storage drive if at all possible, and combine that with the 460 for 4k video editing.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
My 2011 MBP was a hot beast but my mid-2015 model is coolness personified.

OP
J
Reaction score
MacBook pro450 or 455

Hi everyone. Apple doesn't have the 460 model on time for me (I'll be leaving).*
Therefore my options are either the base pro model 15 inch 2016 with the 2.6 and the 450 or the 2.7 with the 455.

I will use it for 4k editing on Final Cut and some web design and graphic design and general tasks.*

Is it worth it to go for the 2.7 with 455 or is the difference negligible? Especially I am interested for final Cut if there will be any significant peromance boost.*

Also what about any throttling on the 2.7 vs 2.6. Are there any reports? Or are they both the same?

Thanks everyone.*

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Threads merged (same topic). Not necessary to start a 2nd thread for same topic.:)

Thanks,

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks for the article. Was hoping someone with experience will make it simpler for me. In regards to Final Cut performance at least.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Final Cut is an application that not many folks use unless they are seriously into video editing. One of our members uses it quite often so perhaps she will see your post and try to answer your questions about it.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the article. Was hoping someone with experience will make it simpler for me. In regards to Final Cut performance at least.

Just compare the benchmark values in the article. This gives you relative performance of the GPU's in question (5% better, 10% better, etc.). Then you can decide if the extra performance is worth the extra cost.

You may not be able to find the Exact Person...with the Exact Computer Setup...using the Exact Apps you use.

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
Ok. Anyone then that edit sin Final Cut and knows more info on the performance? Thank you.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok. Anyone then that edit sin Final Cut and knows more info on the performance? Thank you.

I don't think that you're following the experienced logic here. If (for example) one GPU is roughly 10% faster than another GPU. And the GPU effects how well Final Cut runs. Then Final Cut will be roughly 10% faster.:)

Also consider this. Just about any person who has EXACT experience in this situation is very likely NOT going to own both a 2016 15 " MBP with the 450 GPU AND a 2016 15" MBP with the 455 GPU...to give you comparative feedback. About all they're going to be able to say is Final Cut:

A. Runs great.
B. Runs ok.
C. Runs terrible.

With this sort of feedback...how is it exactly going to effect your purchase decision??

- If they say option A...then you will probably still purchase the computer.
- If they say option B...then you will probably still purchase the computer.
- If they say option C (which I seriously doubt)...will this stop you from purchasing??

Right now I think that you're in "Analysis-Paralysis" mode. And I'm trying to help you get out of it...so by the time you leave for home...you have a computer to take home with you:)...instead of no computer!:(

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
Not really. Any of it. Not only a person can have a friend with the other machine i'm interested in but also he might actually work for apple and know those two machines or even having had the one and returned for the other. More so he might actually can tell me what to expect in rendering times and how smooth the effects run. Interestingly though the possible throttling as mentioned in another thread is a more imoortant factor. No analysis paralysis here. Ordered the Mac with the 460 and then they sent me an email saying that it will be dalyed and had to cancel it. Therefore have to go buy one of the ones that already are in stock and I'm simply asking for the help of someone with more experience which one should I get. I know that you are trying to help but the help I'm seeking is more objective and not a matter of minor technicalities and insignificant details. These are real questions. No nitpicking here.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ordered the Mac with the 460 and then they sent me an email saying that it will be dalyed and had to cancel it.

Yes...kind of understood this from what was said in post #7.:)

If you previously had ordered the 2016 15" MBP with the top-end 460 GPU (but canceled due to shipping wouldn't be in time). Seems by previously ordering the 460 GPU...you wanted the best GPU performance possible. Since this seemed to be the case...then why wouldn't you NOW...order the next best GPU & get the 455? Why all the concern regarding the 450 vs. 455??

Just order the 455 and be done with it.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.