Energy saving features not working on G3 iMac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz/4GB/250GB, G4 Cube 450MHz + 17" Studio LCD
I've just noticed that the energy saving features don't seem to work on my iMac G3 DV 400MHz.

I was planning on leaving it on overnight to re-sync my 3G iPod (which does not seem to work via firewire, only USB1 and I have created a thread about it with no suggestions so far). I find the screen glow annoying because my desk is next to my bed, so I wanted the monitor to automatically switch off. But, even after setting it to 1 min of inactivity, it did not work.

I have also tried scheduling startup and shutdown, and sleeping after so many minutes of inactivity, but these do not work either.

Do I need some kind of driver for this? I am running 10.3.9.

Looks like I'll have to put a piece of cardboard in front of the screen temorarily. 18GB over USB1 is gonna take all night :(

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

B

Badger

Check the preferences to see if the mac is set to receive faxes. If so it will stay awake waiting for an incoming signal. Another possibility: make sure the energy saving settings in classic are set to allow the mac to sleep.

OP
wicker_man
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Faxing is disabled.

Also, I do not have classic (OS9) installed.

OP
wicker_man
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just tried the screen sleep after 1 min of inactivity and it turned off :)

It ran the Software Update the other day, so I think this might of fixed it. I'll try the automatic shut down and restart in a while.

It's currently on 4.1.9, I had to upgrade before installing OSX.

EDIT: Yep, scheduled start up and shut down also work nicely. Great :black:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.