Mac Pro chime but no boot display

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
At moment the mac pro is a brick...

In post #1 it was mentioned that you were able to boot the Mac Pro a couple times. If it's really a "brick" now...this is a MUCH different situation.

If this computer was working ok when you first got it...then I would suspect that the Yosemite update you did messed things up. When a computer is "hacked" like this...you can't mess with the OS (sometimes can't change ANYTHING)...even an update. The "hack" sometimes ONLY works with the specific OS version it was designed for. Even installing a small OS update is deviating from this.

When a computer has been upgraded/hacked like this...can't mess with the OS.

At this point in time I would like to install OS X Lion. I don't have any install disks. Can I buy something like this off ebay and get OS X Lion installed?

Lion was never distributed on disk. Lion was either distributed on a USB thumb drive or via download (first Mac OS that was distributed via download). VERY few folks did he USB thumb drive...because it was more than twice the price of the download method.

As far as what you saw on eBay. Most of what you see are "DIY" Lion USB thumb drive installers folks have made to try to make money. Most of these are NOT official Apple Lion USB install drives. They may work fine & they may not. Kind of a "try at your own risk" sort of thing.;)

- Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
On the basis of all the advice offered above I emailed the seller and included a link to this thread. He has stepped up to the mark and offered me a refund.

Thanks to you all for your advice on this unfortunate situation.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Well, that's very decent of him.

All's well.........etc

I wish you luck with your future endeavours.

And, as you must know by now, we are here for all who need help.

Ian

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
On the basis of all the advice offered above I emailed the seller and included a link to this thread. He has stepped up to the mark and offered me a refund.

Thanks to you all for your advice on this unfortunate situation.

Awesome! Sounds like a very reputable seller.:)

As far as the computer. The first generation Mac Pro's (2006-2007) really aren't all that bad...you can really still do a lot with them.:)

- These can be picked up rather inexpensively via eBay ($100-$150)...sometimes less.
- The CPU's can be upgraded to 8-core.
- OS can be upgraded to El Capitan (with the correct procedure followed very carefully).
- Install much better than stock (and less expensive) Windows video cards.
- RAM upgradeable to 32gig.
- Geekbench benchmark scores of up to 10,000-11,000.

For comparision...dual core 13" 2016 MacBook Pro's have a Geekbench benchmark score of about 7500.

Not exactly 100% sure what was wrong with this particular Mac Pro. But they still can be useful.:)

- Nick

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I am very glad to hear you have been offered a refund. As advised the 2006-2007 Mac Books are cheap and quite useful. Just remember the operating system limitations.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.