Connect to the net using usb?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 1.83 GHz intel duo 1.5 GB
I'm not sure how to explain this so please bear with me ok?

I've been connecting to the internet using my ethernet cable, with no problems, I just plugged my imac in and she took care of te rest basically.
But on weekends a friend of mine comes and needs to plug his laptop to the net and he can only use the ethernet connection, so I end up unplugging my cable and letting him use it.

My DSL modem can be used by two computers at the same time but it can only accommodate one using the ethernet connection and the other one has to connect using a usb cable. I plugged the usb cable to the mac and tried to find how to set the imac to connect using it, but I've been unable to find how to do it.

Anyone know how I can set her to use the usb connection instead of the ethernet. Something I can change back after the weekend?

*sigh* I hate friends... :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
Can you give the specs. of your modem?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
The easiest way is to get a router. The you can stay connected and have extra ethernet ports.

E

Ex_PC_Puke

Pop about $50 for a D-Link DI-524 -- fricken workhorse --- plus you'll get wireless too

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Is the modem one of the ones that SBC hands out by any chance? I think to get the USB working you need a driver from the SBC CD if that is what you have.

If I were you I would do what the others here suggested and get a nice Router. It will make things a lot simpler.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
There are a number of things you can do...

Some of DSL modems that companies like SBC hand out are basically single port routers, so you might be able to get by with just a simple ethernet hub or switch (can be had for $20 or less). Also, if your friend has wireless capability with his laptop, you can turn on the wireless on your mac and share your internet connection over that, that way you don't have to buy anything.

Other than that, you can go with what people have already suggested, a nice router or look for setup disks or check the website of the modem's manufacturer for a driver.

OP
pugui
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
novicew: Looking for the specs I found the cd that came with the modem, which btw is a cheap old thing they gave me for free, and it says "Speed Touch 530".
I wish I knew more about this kind of stuff :(

dtravis7: Yeah, when I found the CD I figured I would have to do the whole drive thing, which I hate because I messed that up when I had to do it on my PC a couple of years ago. So I guess the router advice you and the others have agreed on should be the best thing.

dan828: those are some good options. He does have wireless but I have no idea how to share my connection with him. My poor imac has all this cool gear and a clueless girl who can't do anything with them! :dummy:

Thanks to everyone who offered advice, I must research the router and the ethernet hub/click options.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13' MacBook 2.2Ghz 1Gb Ram 120Gb ,iMac G3 CRT 600 Mhz 512 Ram 60Gb Broken iBook G4, stolen Nano
system preferences>sharing>internet> share your connection from : AIRPORT to users using: AIRPORT

havent tried it but thats how you set it up.

on a side note i think every new mac sold should come with a firewire cable, just an off topic thought.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Thad said:
system preferences>sharing>internet> share your connection from : AIRPORT to users using: AIRPORT

on a side note i think every new mac sold should come with a firewire cable, just an off topic thought.

Yes, that is the way to share the Macs internet connection. I have done it a few times with my iMac G5 iSight and it works great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I didn't think it was possible to take internet from airport and put it back out over the airport. what i do is take it in from the ethernet and put it out over the airport.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13' MacBook 2.2Ghz 1Gb Ram 120Gb ,iMac G3 CRT 600 Mhz 512 Ram 60Gb Broken iBook G4, stolen Nano
good point, powerbook g4 i hadnt thought of that

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBookG4 said:
I didn't think it was possible to take internet from airport and put it back out over the airport. what i do is take it in from the ethernet and put it out over the airport.

The user wrote it wrong. You share the Ethernet to the Airport. I did not even catch his mistake. Glad Powerbookg4 did. If you have your internet connected to the Ethernet port, then you go into sharing and do what he said but substitute Ethernet for Airport!! It works quite well. I tried it with 2 PC Laptops and my old Sawtooth Desktop with Airport card and my iBook and all got the signal and internet access.

OP
pugui
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thad said:

OK, got that, but like PowerBookG4 said, I would put ethernet to airport, right?

What would I have to do to his laptop? It's a HP running WinXP.

BTW Thanks guys!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
pugui said:
OK, got that, but like PowerBookG4 said, I would put ethernet to airport, right?

What would I have to do to his laptop? It's a HP running WinXP.

BTW Thanks guys!

Yes, Ethernet to Airport.

On the Windows XP system, go to networking and the Wifi and have it display a list of Wireless devices. It should find the Airport on your PB. If you can't find it, usually a WiFi enabled XP system has an icon by the clock for the Wireless networking. You can right click on that and click Display Wireless Networks. It's something like that at least if the XP is SP2. If you can't figure it out let me know and I will boot up my XP Lappy.

OP
pugui
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dtravis7 said:
Yes, Ethernet to Airport.

On the Windows XP system, go to networking and the Wifi and have it display a list of Wireless devices. It should find the Airport on your PB. If you can't find it, usually a WiFi enabled XP system has an icon by the clock for the Wireless networking. You can right click on that and click Display Wireless Networks. It's something like that at least if the XP is SP2. If you can't figure it out let me know and I will boot up my XP Lappy.

Thanks so much! I'll tell him to bring it tomorrow and we'll try it then. I'll post the results here :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.